Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need firewall with router?

• Please log in to reply

39Magnolia57

39Magnolia57

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
When my husband and I got a router to network our two computers several years ago, the computer guy said that we did NOT need a firewall as the router blocked access to our computers. Do you agree with that statement? We have a Linksys router and our operating system is Windows HP.

Our McAfee subscription is just about to expire and I want to dump it and download either Avast or AVG for antivirus protection and Comodo for the firewall, if needed. I also have Spybot S & D for antispyware but am not real happy with it. In addition, I also have Spyware Blaster and Windows Defender.

I noticed that your recommendation list was written in 2006. Are they still your current recomendation?

Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by 39Magnolia57, 30 April 2008 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

When my husband and I got a router to network our two computers several years ago, the computer guy said that we did NOT need a firewall as the router blocked access to our computers. Do you agree with that statement? We have a Linksys router and our operating system is Windows HP.

Hi there 39Magnolia57 and welcome to geeks to go

To clarify:

If your router has a built in firewall then you don't need one, if it has not got a firewall then just turn on the one in windows.

To find out if you have one built into your router please open your web browser and in the address bar type in the address of your router, the router address should be on the bottom of the router, the most common address is the one I have supplied you with below

If you need anymore help please feel free to ask

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
windows firewall is next to worthless...(one way blocking)...if you get any malware on your system windows firewall will allow it/them to connect to the internet without you even knowing its going on and sometimes load more malware on your system...
while a hardware firewall in a router is a good thing...think of a software firewall (2 way blocking) as another layer of defense...
the software firewall will tell you what program is trying to access the internet and ask you if you want to allow or deny access ......you can train the software firewall to always allow your browser ,AV and malware tools to always have access but other programs can be blocked or have to ask...
unless you have a really old and slow system...put a software firewall on...then go to shields up to test your security

39Magnolia57

39Magnolia57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you for your speedy reply. I dumped McAfee, downloaded Avast and Comodo then went to Shields. My computer very wisely remained silent. Shields' words.

I really appreciate your help and am very thankful for people like you who are willing to help people like me.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there 39Magnolia57

I am glad to see your issue has been resolved and if you need anymore help in the future please feel free to ask :)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi 39Magnolia57, and welcome :)

It looks like you have some excellent advice here.

Only one thing bothers me though...

Is "Real-Time Scanning" activated on Spyware Blaster? I know Windows Defender uses Rel-Time Scanning as well. As a general rule of thumb, only one real-time scanner for the same purpose should be used. So for example, if you have AVG Antivirus installed as well as MacAfee, then you should pick one or the other. Having two real-time scanners may cause a conflict, which not only wastes resources, but will leave a security hole. Now, if real-time scanning is disabled on one protector, then that's fine. You just don't really want two programs doing the same thing at once.

Honestly, I had a hard time explaining that --- did it make sense? If not, please let me know :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.... :)

SpywareBlaster does not conflict with any malware program...

Its basically a blocking tool..it will not remove any malware at all...it Prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software....and it Blocks spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

Edited by happyrck, 01 May 2008 - 07:12 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Excellent :)

Well now you know something new anyway :)

Hope it all works for the best!