Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

saving files to disk

• Please log in to reply

nuzzmark

nuzzmark

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! Newbie here!
I was just wondering if it's ok to save some programs to disk in order to save space on my hard drive. Mostly like Photoshop, Printshop or other applications. I don't mean any programs that came with my pc, just ones that I have added. I do realize tht it would mean inserting the disk every time I wanted to use one of the programs. Would it harm my pc to do that? Am I wrong in assuming that the program would have to re-install every time I do that? Or can I just run it from the disk...no installation??
Thanks in advance,
nuzzmark

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello nuzzmark...

In a word...no.

Applications like those you mentioned must be installed to the registry and have the necessary files available on the hard drive in order to function properly. Stand alone executables can be run from a cd or flash drive, but most larger programs will not fall under this category.

wannabe1

nuzzmark

nuzzmark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi wannabe1,
Thanks for your fast response. I didn't think I could, but wanted to make sure.
nuzzmark

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome. :)