Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webcam installation help (hope this is in right place)

• Please log in to reply

bunnygirl

bunnygirl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not very technical so I am hoping that there will be somebody on here that can help me with a problem that I am having installing a webcam.

Basically my husbands brother got a new laptop and it has a built in web cam. My husband wanted to get a webcam too so that he could chat to his brother better. As he was only going to use it to make faces at his brother over the internet I thought that I would just get a cheap one for now and then see how much he used it before buying a more expensive one. Looking back this was probably a mistake.

I looked on Amazon and found this web cam

I hope that it is okay to put this link on

http://www.amazon.co...H...6560&sr=8-2

I ordered it and it rrived today but when I opened the box there was no disk in to install the camera. I emailed the supplier and he sent me an email back with this link on

http://www.mediafire.com/?ckdoc5w4rdi

So I downloaded the stuff and nothing happend. It put a file on my computer but the webcam still does not work. At first my computer was showing a message when I plugged the camera in saying that new hardware had been detected and brought up a wizard thing to install it but it just kept saying that it could not detect any software. Now the computer has stopped even saying that when I plug the camera in.

I am sorry that I cannot describe the situation better but like I said I am not very technically minded. I have been sitting here for over four hours trying to get the thing to work and emailing the supplier but they still have not got back to me.

Please can anybody help me with this. Any help will be really appreciated.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Can only give you some limited help here by asking a question. The file you downloaded (at http://www.mediafire.com/?ckdoc5w4rdi), did you unzip the file and read the readme text? I think that contained an executable file to install your webcam's driver.

Ron

bunnygirl

bunnygirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your reply. When I first got the file yesterday I pressed on the folder with a picture of a zip on it and one of the things inside was labled setup launcher. I pressed it and followed the instructions. When I press on it now it says that the driver has been detected in your machine so I think that it has installed but it just will not recognise the camera.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try removing the webcam, rebooting, then plugging in the webcam and see if it gets recognized after that.

If still doesn't work, you might check in the Device Manager by expanding all the trees out and looking for the webcam connection. Check to see if driver has been installed or if there may be any yellow/red warnings next to the webcam connection.

I take it the unzipping of the downloaded file went smoothly. Normally, it's best to put the zipped file in its own folder and unzip the file to that folder so all unzipped files will be together. Then when you click the install, it knows where to find everything.

Did it have a readme.txt file or something similar? You may not be able to find it if the zipped file was saved to desktop and the unzipped files were put in a temp folder.

Ron