Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why Does IE 7 Always Open With A Microsoft Home Page?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Every now and than when I use internet explorer 7 it shows the following microsoft update page telling me that IE 7 is available when I already have it and am using it when it shoes this:

Posted Image

My homepage is www.google.com not that thing. Whenever that page shows up and I click the home button it goes to google. But like I said every other day it comes back and shows that above as my home page. Why is this happening and how can I fix it? I'm using IE 7 so why keep bothering me about updating to IE 7? I don't get it microsoft... & yes google.com is set as my default homepage in my tools/options. The page above is coming from this address: http://www.microsoft...e/getitnow.mspx

Advertisements

natkay2603

natkay2603

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have you tried running the update? or reinstalling IE7?

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
No I haven't, and I shouldn't have to. Someone said this to me through an msn conversation:

Strange. If you have IE7 already that should not be happening. It is possible that some other security program (and you could check in SpyBot's Tools > 'Browser Pages' and 'IE Tweak' to see if you have a setting there that has locked that in.
Likewise with Spybot's 'TeaTimer' *if* you use it, that could be the culprit too.

However, other users have fixed it as has been reported with this registry fix:

"I changed the registry. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
\Internet Explorer\Main]
"First Home Page"="http://www.google.com/"

If the above does *not* stick after a reboot then it is almost certain you have some security program overriding it.

Of course you could just stop using IE altogether.

But I just don't feel comfortable with registry tweaks...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you export the key before you change it then it's safe to do this. Import it back if you have a problem.

Or install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to startup then each time you boot it makes a full registry backup. Only takes a few seconds and has no visible impact on boot performance. If you make a registry change that causes problems, you can fix it from Safe Mode or the Recovery Console by running the appropriate erdnt.exe from C:\Windows\ERDNT. Makes registry hacking pretty bullet proof.