Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! MACBOOK NOT CONNECTING!

• Please log in to reply

Chasing Chase

Chasing Chase

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone.

i have a problem with my macbook and i'm in desperate need of a bit of help.
I have wireless internet at my house and bought my macbook 6 months ago. Everything was working fine and i love my laptop. Then, about a week ago, i flipped open my laptop as always, turned it one and to my dismay, the internet didnt automatically connect like it always does. so i turned off the airport and turned it back on, nothing. i tried retyping in the password for the connection, nothing. My roommate had her laptop (a pc) going and it works just fine for her. I now need to use her computer which is an inconvience at times :) I want my macbook back working the way it was!! The internet just stopped for no reason.
If anyone could help, PLEASE DO!! I'd appreciate the advice

-Chase

Advertisements

Fire Elemental

Fire Elemental

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had the same issue. My research on the issue only came up with the mac's wireless client is a bit buggy and there is no fix to it. The last time I had the issue was actually last night and I tried restarted my macbook and it still wouldn't connect for more than a few seconds, then disconnected. I restarted my modem and router and the issue was gone. There are two Windows PC in my house as well and their internet was working fine the whole time. :)

I'd be happy to know if there is a better fix. It doesn't happen to me too often though.

cesarcesar2

cesarcesar2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I FOUND A SOLUTION THAT WORKS!!!! First a little back story.

Got my Mac Blackbook and the wi-fi worked great from my Linksys wrt54g2 router. Moved to Germany and into an apartment and my connection issues started happening. My MB would connect once then loose connection quickly and would only recover connection if i either closed and re-opened my screen, or re-connected to my network... then it would drop again before my next page turn.

After multiple days of research I read about SOOOO many others having this issue and the fact the Apple pretty much refused to acknowledge the issue. It seemed that sometime near the OX 10.4.2 update the airport driver got fubar'd leaving all those with Intel based macs wi-fi connects messed up.

Some of the solutions i read about and tried had to do with changing my WEP connection to WPA. This did not work, but i left it as WPA as my research finds it a more secure connection. I also read about and tried setting my Wireless RTA Threshold in my router to 256 from the *2432 default. This as well did not work, though I have left it at this setting as it seems to be the best value for MAC's connecting over wi-fi. This is not true for PC's though so be careful.

More research, more research, o' my brain hurts and my patience is wearing..... then BINGO!!! I found a thread about connection issues that pertained to MB's not connecting to local-network printers. The poster mentioned that MAC's seem to have a hard time connecting to networks that had more than one wi-fi network present. This is my issue i thought. I have 8 in my available connections now. In my old home I had just mine. So i followed the directions suggested and it has now been 2 weeks of 100% perfect wi-fi connections.

Below is the excerpt from this page, http://www.macintouc.../topic2005.html (Do a find for “Little Snitch”). The program the writer talks about is called Little Snitch found here, http://www.obdev.at/...itch/index.html. It's a $29 dollar program, but in my mind its well worth it to make my $1500 Blackbook work!

This may not be the Apple Fix we have been waiting for them, but its completely working for me.

I have used Little Snitch software for several years, and it occurred to me that I might be able to use it to block any connections with the other network. Using the latest version (v.2), go to Preferences, or Little Snitch Configuration, choose Rules under the Window menu, and click the New button.

In the pop-up window that shows up, click on the gear icon and choose "Choose System Process." A file open box opens, and under the folder "libexec," choose "airportd." "airportd" is the system daemon that controls the Airport card in the MacBook Pro. In the box that comes up, set the main menu to "Allow Connections" and the Server menu to "Local Network."

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I just enabled the quick fix... I'll see if it works in my school's wifi because when I have that problem... I really hope it does!! :)

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
nope, it didn't work... I go a self-assigned IP again today! I had to restart my system in order for it to work... this is really frustrating...
I'm calling Apple about this today

macmaxbh

macmaxbh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

nope, it didn't work... I go a self-assigned IP again today! I had to restart my system in order for it to work... this is really frustrating...
I'm calling Apple about this today

What exactly is the issue? If you're connected but are getting a self-assigned IP, have you tried renewing your DHCP lease and/or cycling AirPort? In your Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app, click on "all messages") what does it say when you try to connect?

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I called Apple, and apparently it is a known issue with large wi-fi networks... they recently issued a fix, but it has proved mostly unsuccessful... I guess we'll just have to wait... I'm taking advantage of this as an excuse to get a new Airport card for free (since they said they would replace it for me) :)