Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help! XP won't boot!

• Please log in to reply

TiffanyLS

TiffanyLS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I have Windows XP home edition, and it will not open. It goes into the safe mode screen but every option it gives me will not work. It'll show the windows blue load screen, but then it goes right back to the black safemode prompt screen. I do not have a boot disk, and don't have anywhere i can get one, i found a website that i can make one to use, but i only have access to a mac at my grandmothers house so i can't make one. Does anyone have any ideas? if so, please email me at e-mail removed! Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello TiffanyLS...

I just missed you in chat earlier, but with the nature of this repair I would have had you start a topic here anyway. The following is a technique for restoring an earlier registry when you can't start Windows. Instructions for burning ISO image files on a Mac are available HERE.

Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image.

Boot from the RC.iso CD (watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD" and press the space bar when you see it). After the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console...press the R key. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt: (Please note the spaces in the following commands)
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

After you type exit and press Enter, be sure to let the machine attempt to boot normally.

If you have problems or questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

wannabe1