Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti-Spyware Program Advice Needed Please.

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I can no longer get AVG Anti-Spyware "Free" now and don't know which Anti-Spyware to turn to. I really don't care for Windows Defender and I use AVG Anti-Virus so I just need a Free Anti-Spyware program similiar to AVG as I loved there AVG Anti-Spyware. Are there any out there similiar to AVG Anti-Spyware Free? All help greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

art297

art297

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi onestep: I do not know what your problem with AVG is but I got it a little while ago and it is working fine. But if you can't use it then enter free anti-spyware in the search box that is on your browser. There is a lot of them out there. I would also say. goto http://www.threatfire.com. This is a free anti-virus program that I use and it is working great.

Philip

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Onestep...

Give Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware a look. Our malware experts are now recommending it above most others.

wannabe1

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi,
Been using spyware terminator (free) for about 6 months now, and I think its the best one I've ever used edited link as it appeared to be incorrect
Cheers
davy

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Spyware Terminator is not a very good program. It also used to be on the Rogue Anti-Spyware list

MBAM is the best, then Dr. Web Cureit

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I wonder if there is any objective data that could demonstrate that Spyware Terminator is not "a very good program". I use it because it's the only free antispyware that I know off that includes real time protection. In my opinion it does a good job. Since no single program can cover the risks I also use, for periodic scans, AVG antispyware, Spybot and Malwarebytes.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
There is no doubt in my mind that if you ran Spyware Terminator against an infected Virtual Machine, that it would easily fare the lowest out of the other ones you suggested.

If you want real-time protection, get SpywareGuard, I am quite sure that is far superior than Terminator's protection.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi friends.

The truth is at the the present state I look suspiciously at all antimalware programs. The reason is that I see many computers with some of the most familiar names of malware programs and they are full of high quality pest. I see fully udated Nortons, McAfees, Nod32, Ca and others and it cause me to trust none of them. Personally I think that free programs are as good as any commercial ones.

I consider this thread important and would like to add few questions with the original poster's permission:

1: What is real time protection? Is it the limit a program puts on registry changes, enabling the user to accept or deny a change, or is there more to it.

2: Which, in your opinion, is superior: Tea Timer of Spybot, SpywareGuard, Spyware Terminator. I avoid using Tea Timer because it floods you with messages that are pretty annoying. I would consider my stand if I have answers to the above questions.

3: I also have Spywarebluster installed in my computer. As you know, besides manual updating there is nothing that you have to do. No scans nothing. Also, you don't get any feedback from this program. As far as I am concerned it could be a joke or a fake. Contrary to my skeptic nature I keep it running because I read good critics about it but none demostrate any parameter by which you can judge it's value.What is your opinion? I removed and installed it so many times that it can do the process by now without my interference.

Edited by The Skeptic, 02 May 2008 - 11:33 PM.

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
According to their blurb, Spyware terminator works in a different way than other anti spyware programs. It looks for the effects and program changes that are common in malware, and doesnt rely on a "signature" the way that other programs do. If this is the case, then S.T. will find new malware before the definitions of other programs are updated.

Theres nothing to stop anyone running two programs, just in case

Davy

Edited by davyburns, 07 May 2008 - 05:30 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regarding SpywareBluster it's still a riddle to me.

Spyware Terminator has an option called HIPS which does what you describe in your post. I enabled it and it looks very good. It opens a message with the name of the suspicious file. You can leave the message open and google to check what the file is, then block or allow it. Excellent.