Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In dire need of help & advice to bring dead pc back to life.

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could you use the computer your using to post to this thread to burn memtest..???
I would wipe the drive and start fresh...

Edited by happyrck, 03 May 2008 - 10:38 AM.

Advertisements

unhappy bunny

unhappy bunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No can do as it doesn't have a burner :)

unhappy bunny

unhappy bunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
& the floppy doesn't work either as every time I put one in,(new & unused) its says it needs formatted when I try to do so it tells me it can't be done. This pc I'm on is totally bog standard, I only paid £30 for it so my kids could use it to play their games. I hadn't intended it for internet use.

unhappy bunny

unhappy bunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well I have finally managed after lots of trouble to install windows xp & finally have my pc up & running. I now have 2x512mb & have run memtest which completed showing no errors. My computer still isn't running right though :) I would presume it would be twice as fast with the extra mem but it isn't. When I had 1x512mb I could watch videos on youtube with no problems now it keeps pausing. So what could the problem be?

Also I'm back to my old hard drive which shows that couldn't have been the problem to begin with. While I was trying to install xp on the new hard drive the pc kept freezing so I would have to reboot. Each time I deleted the partition & created a new one, then would reformat the last time something failed & when I tried to reboot a red box with 'disk reading error' appeared. So is the hard drive fixable or have I killed it?

unhappy bunny

unhappy bunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just discovered another problem. I just had to reboot as my pc froze when it came back on the screen had black & white horizontal stripes, rebooted again & its back to normal.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Do you have another video card you could swap with yours to test if that's the problem? If not, download new drivers for your video card (don't install them yet) and then restart into safe mode and uninstall the video device from device manager. Then restart and install the downloaded drivers and see if that helps. It sounds like it's either a hardware or software issue with your video card. It might be getting too hot so make sure if there's a fan on it, it's working.

Good luck.

antzbabe

antzbabe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all , I have been asked to contact you on behalf of Unhappy Bunny who sadly is unable to join us online as her computer is still having issues.
It has taken her nearly 3 hours to get 38% of the way through the XP installation and she is now desperate for solutions as to what is wrong.

I am wondering if it is still a formatting of the new hard drive issue?? but find it weird that even after replacing memory and hard drive that she is still having problems.
could one of the main components on the motherboard be failing... cpu?? is this a bios issue? XP was working on this pc previously so it cant be a compatibility issue... arrgh
any advice would be much appreciated xxx thank you in advance, I will relay all messages to her until she is able to return on line.

unhappy bunny

unhappy bunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have managed to use a friends pc to give an update. I have now removed my sound & video cards but still something is wrong. It took from 2pm yesterday till 8.30 this morning just to copy files during installation, also while it was copying I had to skip a file called merlin asc (I know it was merlin but not certain about the second part) as it could not be copied. I have just left it running now. I beginning to think its time to give up & buy a new pc so if anyone has any ideas what the problem could be I'd be very grateful.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have a bad hard drive or hard drive cable or hard drive controller...you can rest the bios to the default or safe settings and if that doesn't help it may be the mobo itself...