Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection keeps going ....

• Please log in to reply

Hexzar

Hexzar

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hi, this is a rare problem that i've encountered for the first time.

Since today, my wireless router has been going funny. For example, i'd connect to the internet for about 10/15 minutes and then the wireless connection would be lost.

On my router, the wireless light keeps blinking but very slowly - which is unusual (usually blinks really fast when i'm connected to the internet).

Anyways, i knew that i've turned my wireless on for alot of days without ever turning it off. So i shut down my wireless for about 10/20 minutes, and the problem still persists.

Please can someone help me out with my problem....

Advertisements

The Guru

The Guru

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Do you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone in the house? It is possible that that may be causing interference and knocking you offline. You may want to try to change the channel oyur wireless router broadcasts on by accessing the Admin page. (This will be available through your web browser at the default gateway address of your computer)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
welcome to G2G The Guru... :)

try reinstalling the wireless driver..

There are a lot of things that can cause interference with your wireless signal.

Light dimmer switches....cordless Telephones...TV's...fans.. any thing electrical can cause interference. ...
if your signal is intermittent .(slow page loading only sometimes)...dropped connection
Try moving the router to a different position... even a foot or two may fix the problem
try to figure out what is being used when the signal gets slow... and move the router away from that device
or to a location away from all other appliances...

Edited by happyrck, 02 May 2008 - 11:30 AM.

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

welcome to G2G The Guru... :)

try reinstalling the wireless driver..

There are a lot of things that can cause interference with your wireless signal.

Light dimmer switches....cordless Telephones...TV's...fans.. any thing electrical can cause interference. ...
if your signal is intermittent .(slow page loading only sometimes)...dropped connection
Try moving the router to a different position... even a foot or two may fix the problem
try to figure out what is being used when the signal gets slow... and move the router away from that device
or to a location away from all other appliances...

I know what you mean. But the thing is, i have 2 laptops and it doesn't work for both of them. The signal keeps going after a patterned 10/15 minutes. Then i have to restart the modem to be able to connect again.

Lastly, the room the wireless modem is in is pretty empty without any electrical stuff turned on. The wireless modem has been in the same place for a good 4 months, and this problem has suddenly arrived just today...

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
What router do you have? I know there's a few routers that have had firmware updates to fix these types of issues. Maybe check on the manufacturer's website for any firmware or driver updates.

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Ok i hope people read this post very carefully as i will do my best to try and explain the problem.

Router Manufacturer - Belkin
Router Type - Wireless/4 socket Ethernet Enabled.

Router Picture - http://img.zdnet.com...ry/_WLESSRT.JPG

The Problem - Nothing has been changed with the location of my router or anything like that. But since this morning my router has been going funny. I can only connect to the internet for about 10/15 minutes maximum before the internet disconnects. The only thing is, i am still always connected to my router no matter what, but just the internet is not there. When i try and connect from an ethernet cable, the internet is there. When my wireless internet doesn't work, i notice that the "wireless" green light blinks repeatedly in a pattern. This indicates that there's something wrong, but i just dont know what.

Here is what my diagnostatics showed me -

Posted Image

Edited by Hexzar, 02 May 2008 - 02:08 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Did you go to the manufacturer's website and check for any updates or if others have reported similar issues? We had a router that just would drop internet connections. To reconnect, I had to unplug the power from the router and power it back on. I contacted the manufacturer and they had a firmware update that fixed this issue. We had had the router for several years and it suddenly would drop it's connection from the internet.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
fawoodward's advice about checking the Belkin website is good..see if they have a firmware update for your make and model..
I suspect the router is bad...but

Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem
do these steps in the exact order
Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

Edited by happyrck, 02 May 2008 - 03:14 PM.

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I dont know, this is just weird. The problem doesn't seem to happen now, yesterday night and today the wireless seems to be working fine...

How strange...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you do what I asked or did it just start working by itself...