Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard malfunction

• Please log in to reply

deepal

deepal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: something weird has happened. My computer was online one day and all of a sudden , everytime i tried to type anything(in internet explorer or word) if i pressed the H key , both letters H and M would appear and vice versa. If i pressed G , both G and V would appear. If i pressed Z , all windows would close down , and if i pressed C , the entire word would get erased. I have a compaq presario laptop , with Windows XP home edition. I tried system restore to factory defaults, but it didnt work. Also tired various virus scans , spyware scans , nothing detected. Also reinstalled the keyboard driver , but didnt work.I tried formatting it from the dos prompt , but since I'm unable to type the letter C . i can't even direct it to format c drive. I also tried formatting it through windows , but it says drive C curently in use even tho everythings closed.
this is beyond me.....HELP!!!

Advertisements

sheilaOne

sheilaOne

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The disc cannot be formatted under windows enviroment, for as it is used by the services. (task manager, third tab, i think). This is some kind of protection so that drive cannot be "cleaned" ;) under os.

Did you try taking your hard disk out and give it to someone else to format it?

You could also overrun it with the fresh instal of windows... if you run from dos... and put the cd in... you get a message like...press any key to boot from cd...

If you do that way, you will be able to do format and reinstall with windows dos version of particion magic. ;) :tazz:

timetowaste

timetowaste

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Maybe there is something wrong with you keyboard. You could try another keyboard in your computer and see if that works. Or try your keyboard on another computer. Just to rule it out.