Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Load needed DLLs for kernel - Dell help plus more info needed

• Please log in to reply

need more info

need more info

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK Folks,

I have read several past posts and reply's, and I still have a few questions. But first I will tell you from begining, what we are working with here.

I am working on a Dell E310. KEEP IN MIND This is an 80 gig HD with 60 gb as partition 1 for XP Home, and a 20 gb partition 2 that was empty from someone in the past.

They had it LOADED to the hilt with viruses, worms, trojens, you name it. They uninstalled my Anti Virus I installed. WHY? I have no idea.

After trying to remove hunreds and hundreds of spywares and virus just that accumilated over the past month with out virus protection, I found that I was still getting this page that would always pop up when going on line. Not a specific page, but random weird sites.

So I found a site where some one said to download SUPERAntiSpyware. So I did. After running it, it found an additional 181 items, which all looked to be really bad. Nothing looked like it might be important to the system, all were labeld to be some type of trojen, virus, malware etc.

I then quarentined and deleted all the items.

The computer was running ok, and didn't pop up that page anymore, so I decided to use my Auslogics Boost Speed, which I find to be a great tool.

I did my normal things cleaning the registry, never had problems before, cleaning of the hard drive same goes for that too with no issues in the past. I then found this other program I had not used on it before. Its called Auslogics Track eraser. When you open the program, it states this following message:

"When you surf the internet, open documents or run programs, your activity is recorded in files, cookies and the registry. Besides leaving a visable track of your activity, this data clutters and slows down your PC. Track eraser protects your privacy by removing this sensitive information from your computer".

I figured I would run that also in hopes to remove any possible tracers or cookies these viruses or trojens left behind. After I told it to fix the stuff, i noticed it had like 60,000 files plus and during its deletion, windows popped up saying something along the lines that some files had been changed and were needed to run windows correctly am I sure you want to change them.

I of course did not want to. As I kept hitting no, the program Auslogics was still running, so this made me believe it wasn't Auslogics doing this, otherwise you would think it would have paused while changing windows files.

(Sorry this is a long story, but I want you all to know exaclty from beging to end what happened)

So I continually pressed no, but to no avail would it let me do anything else, so I had to restart the computer, ( Iread somewhere this may have casued the issue at hand)

When I turned the computer back on, it came only to a blank screen after showing the typical dell screen with this following message:

" Windows could not start becuase the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

After scrambling online for over a day, I decided to do the following.

I installed XP Pro onto partition 2. I then copied the hal.dll file from another XP Home machine and then copied that file into the C:\windows\system32 file.

I then restarted the machine and then recieved the following error:

" Windows could not start becuase of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as:
Load needed DLLs for kernel
Please contact your support person to report this problem."

I have read a bit on the dell recovery partition which I dont fully understand, but I think I could do it. But I do have a question.

Will any of these methods that anyone suggest lose exsisting data?

It is imparetive I dont lose all thier files.

Here are some answers to presumed questions later.

I do not have a OEM Cd for this mahine as it did not come with one.
I do not have means to copy this data to a back up drive as this is a dell and I can not take the drive out, I dont have any connections that would hook up to the dell drive as it is weird looking both the info cord and the power cord.
I do not have an external HD

Here are some aditional questions.

(some may not agree with this question, but pease understand)

Can I download an xp home cd and use it specifically for repair, or will it not work becuase its not the original?

When installing an OS on a dell, is there anything extra I should know, I have heard its not the same, like the audio drivers have to be the first thing installed otherwise audio does not work.?

Is there anything in general I should understand about this dell?

THANK YOU so much for any help.

I know these are some seriously technical questions, and I do understand I am lucky to get any answers.

Thanks again.

PLease feel free to ask me any other questions, I will get back quickly

Or email me at u.f.o.electro @ gmail.com

Edited by need more info, 03 May 2008 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to save the data...try puppy linux...
puppy will load and run totally in ram...

get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the ISO file
4. Suggestion ==> Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...then drag the window to the
right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to

the narrowest you can..drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmounting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..
desktop could look like either of these

Edited by happyrck, 03 May 2008 - 06:36 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi, welcome to G2G.

First, please edit your initial post and remove the HJT log. They are not handled here, only in the malware forum, thanks.

According to the Users Guide for your computer, you can use the Dell PC Restore by Symantec to restore you computer to the state it was in when you purchased it. This means you will lose all your data, installed software and windows updates but that may be the quickest way to recover.

This is not an action I recommend lightly since I know it can be very painful, but with the unknown state of your computer as it is now, I believe this is the right action to take.

Since you can boot to XP in partition 2, you can save your data from partition 1 before doing the restore.

[attachment=20393:DellE310.gif]

The E310 has a SATA hard drive, that's why it looks different. You can add a 2nd SATA drive and use it to backup the owners data if it won't fit in the space left on the 2nd partition. Once restored, the 2nd SATA drive can be used for additional storage or to implement a good, regularly used backup strategy so when (not if) this happens again, recovery is only 30 minutes away.

Edited by Ztruker, 03 May 2008 - 06:45 PM.

need more info

need more info

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ztruker,
i understand what you are saying, looks easy.

Like you said, since I can back up my data to partition 2, I will do that.

BUT the question still remains,

Will the restore option delete partition 2 and its data??????

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The restore may make partition 2 unbootable, not sure, but it should not damage it.

If this happens, you can use any XP CD to start the Recovery Console then use the bootcfg /rebuild command to correct boot.ini, or even easier, save boot.ini on the 2nd partition, then when partition 1 is restored, copy boot.ini back from partition 2.

Things can go wrong though. It's unlikely but it can happen and if it does then there is a possibility that you will lose the 2nd partition or the data on it.

The only way to be 100% safe is to backup to CD/DVD or an external drive.

How important is the data?