Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

task manager

• Please log in to reply

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Would someone explain to me why the 'system idle process' indicates over 90% almost constantly in my task manager? I've run 3 different ad/spy ware cleanup programs and my virus scan. This did not used to be like this and my system is very slow lately. I'm getting very frustrated. Thanks.

I had the topic 'too much stuff' last week and cleaned things up. It was running better and now it's not. I cleanup cookies and such each evening before I shut down for the night.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
system idle should be relatively high....that means your cpu has cycles to spare...not sure what you're asking....

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I thought maybe that was why my system was so slow. I never noticed the idle process number as being that high. Ok, thank you, I guess it's supposed to be that high. I'm just getting very frustrated. Something is bogging down my system and I cannot figure out what it is. It's not as slow as it was a week ago, but it is slower than usual. As I said before, I keep cleaning out the junk as often as possible. It'd be easier to get to the bottom of this if I could talk to someone in person. Right now I just don't have the extra cash to have someone come and look things over. Thanks for all your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i see in your other thread that you had at least one malware infection (I didn't look that closely)

Did you ever follow the link in my singature, follow the instructions at the top, then post accordingly?

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I don't remember. At this point I've tried so many things. I will check that out now. Tks.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
If you are refering to the hijack this log, I did that. It was moved and now I can't find the thread. This is making me crazy. I have to leave it for today. I'll check back in tomorrow. thks