Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

jp393

jp393

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well i was removing my video cards for something, and then was plugging them back in afterwards.
Suddenly my computer wouldn't connect to the internet. Apparently it has limited or no connection.
I have tried reseting my router, changing ports, downloading new drivers and even connecting it directly tot he modem without any success..

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
Anything is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

xheezy04

xheezy04

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

If you are using a wired connection have you tried using another UTP cable? Or even reconnecting the cable?

If you are using a wireless connection, I would assume your wireless card is connected to a PCI slot, try re-seating your wireless network card to another PCI slot.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I would try what xheezy04 said.

If not try power cycling the router & modem. Turn off the modem and unplug the router for 30seconds, then plug them back in. Wait for the network to come back up and see if you can connect. Is the ethernet port on the mobo or is it a PCI NIC?

jp393

jp393

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This morning i actually plugged in the cable to my other computers and it worked fine.. so its definitely something with the inter graded Ethernet port..
Keep in mind both my other computers are connected to the internet fine through the same router..

Thanks for the answers.. any other ideas??

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

This morning i actually plugged in the cable to my other computers and it worked fine.. so its definitely something with the inter graded Ethernet port..
Keep in mind both my other computers are connected to the internet fine through the same router..

Thanks for the answers.. any other ideas??

I'm assuming the other computer that is on your network had access while yours did not?

jp393

jp393

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yup they're all connected to the same network and the good one can't connect.

I was also trying to plug in a wireless pci card so i could worrying but the motherboard
was screwed in a cm too close to the back and now the card wont fit... lucky me.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Try uninstalling the Ethernet port in device manager(My Computer > Properties> Hardware), then have Windows detect the port. (Action < Scan for Hardware Changes) See if that works, if you haven't already tried this.

jp393

jp393

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yah i have 2 of them and uninstalled both to the point where i lost count.
All the drivers are recent and everything.. Very frustrating..
Thanks for the help though FadetoBright

Any other thoughts?

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Yah i have 2 of them and uninstalled both to the point where i lost count.
All the drivers are recent and everything.. Very frustrating..
Thanks for the help though FadetoBright

Any other thoughts?

What motherboard do you have?

jp393

jp393

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's an ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE NFORCE4 MB

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

It's an ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE NFORCE4 MB

I have the same board. I use the bottom Ethernet port, I believe. I did however get the drivers off nVidia's site rather then ASUS. Here's the link to the nVidia drivers:

http://www.nvidia.co...win2k_6.86.html

jp393

jp393

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yah i just did that and it didn't work either.. Pretty ridiculous.
If i were to buy an ethernet adapter through a PCI slot, you think it would work?

Just cause i want this thing up and running without any more hassle..

Thanks a lot for the help Fade to BRight

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I know you said you uninstalled the ports but have you tried uninstalling the network cards themselves? Both in device manager and physically - disable it in bios since it's integrated. Then enable it and reboot and let windows detect the card.

Also, since you have an integrated network card, is it possible you also have an add-on network card and just have it connected to the wrong one?

jp393

jp393

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well i had two intergraded ethernet sockets yet only the bottom one is for online and thats the one i'm having the problem with. I fully disconnected it and reinstalled it and it was still being weird so i decided to just buy a network card assuming theres something actually wrong with the port..

Eventually it'll be replaced because wireless cards aren't all that great for gaming... too much lag..

Thanks for the suggestion fawoodward
Much Appreciated