Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

aols aim infested my firefox :-(

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there everyone,
after i put AOLs AIM programme on my pc i found it infested my web browser, so i immediately un-installed it and reset my home page. but now when i type a word in the the adress bar it will bring up an aol search page, instead of taking me to the site like it used to. i.e i used to be able to just type "ebay" and it would take me to ebay.com, and the same worked for most sites, i think it may have used googles 'im feeling lucky' search. does anyone know how i can get it back to normal? cheers

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Hey fortuitous :)
  • Open a new tab (ctrl+t)
  • Type about:config into the location bar, and press enter.
  • In the Filter box, at the top, type in: keyword.url
  • Right click on the entry that comes up, click Modify and in the box that comes up, copy and paste in:
    http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&q=
You can set up keywords for sites you visit often, so you don't have to type in the full web address each time:
  • Bookmark the page (ctrl+d)
  • Go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks
  • Right click on the bookmark you created, click on Properties
  • In the Keyword box, type in the keyword you want to access the page through.
  • Click OK
  • Close Bookmarks Manager
    To get to the site, in the location bar, type the keyword, and press enter.
~Matt :)

Edited by Matt T, 08 May 2008 - 02:36 AM.