Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

permissions issue

• Please log in to reply

briz_dad

briz_dad

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I bought my current desktop a couple of years ago from Costco (refurbished).

I am running XP and now and then I get a message that I do not have permission to do something (update printer driver, etc.).

Since this is the only active account running, how do I change it so that I have full admin permission?

TIA,
Greg

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
In order to change a limited account to an administrator account you would have to log on to an administrator account.
If this is a computer on a domain the system administrator may have set permissions that would deny you to make some changes.
Here is a Microsoft artical on user accounts in Windows XP.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
here is the strange thing - on the account I log into, it says I am a computer administrator

... and there are only two accounts that are viewable via the control panel - but I know there are more accounts because of the folders in "my documents"

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If the system administrator has set permission levels to deny changes than you can be logged on as administrator, yet be denied access.
You will need to talk to your system administrator.
Since I do not know if this is a machine on your works network, your own machine, or any thing I can not tell you how to change your permission level with out reformatting.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
sorry - it is my own machine at home and there is no network (other machines)