Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

Zero767

Zero767

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there :)

After much deliberation and spending a lot of time comparing things on newegg I have decided on a build that I think is pretty nice. I am posting here to get some of your opinions on the parts I have selected. Thanks for the help.

Motherboard

Video Card

Power Supply

Processor

RAM (3 gigs total)

Heatsink

Thanks! :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you intend on running SLI?

I recommend you purchase a 2x2GB kit.

I suggest you look at this heatsink, a lot of people have been having a lot of success with it and best of all it's cheap. In many reviews it beats out the thermalright ultra 120.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835233003
James

Zero767

Zero767

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Do you intend on running SLI?

I recommend you purchase a 2x2GB kit.

I suggest you look at this heatsink, a lot of people have been having a lot of success with it and best of all it's cheap. In many reviews it beats out the thermalright ultra 120.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835233003
James

Hey, yea I will probobly run SLI in the future.

The only problem with the 2x2GB kit is my copy of vista is 34bit. But if you think it will make a huge differance, I could buy another copy.

Thanks for the link to the heatsink :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The only problem with the 2x2GB kit is my copy of vista is 34bit. But if you think it will make a huge differance, I could buy another copy.

Welcome to geeks to go :)
Your correct in assuming that you will only see roughly ~3GB of RAM, but if you want more then 2GB I strongly suggest you get a 2x2GB kit rather then getting 3 sticks (are you selling one?) of the current memory you have selected. Using 4 memory modules puts a large strain on the north bridge and thus hinders your maximum overclocking potential.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2008 - 11:00 AM.