Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My First System

• Please log in to reply

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
This one comes with the dip switches CLICK HERE

This one does not come with them click here

This is the one with the dip switches click here

<_<

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I'm going with this one:

http://www.tigerdire...3400&CatId=1181

I'll get some special plastic black spray paint and spray paint that card-reading drive. I saw them do it on TSS. That picture of a PCI thing above the card reader picture, is it a soundcard?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Here is my new list:

Soyo - K8USA Dragon Ultra and AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor ($590-$20=$570, TigerDirect)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 ($420, TigerDirect)
Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory(2x512MB) ($270, TigerDirect)
Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive ($130-$40=$90, TigerDirect)
Artec 16x DVD-ROM Drive / Black / PowerDVD Software ($40, TigerDirect)
Megastor Dual Layer DVD Burner ($110-$30=$80, TigerDirect)
Powmax Black ATX Case with Clear Side, 80mm Fan and 400 Watt Power Supply ($40, TigerDirect)

Will this round out the system itself, or did I miss something? Thanks. <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
yes it as a 6 channel on board sound card it works great I have the same one on my MB
<_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Here's my complete system :D:

Soyo - K8USA Dragon Ultra and AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor ($590-$20=$570, TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler Fan ($25, TigerDirect)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 ($420, TigerDirect)
Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory(2x512MB) ($270, TigerDirect)
Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive ($130-$40=$90, TigerDirect)
Artec 16x DVD-ROM Drive / Black / PowerDVD Software ($40, TigerDirect)
Megastor Dual Layer DVD Burner ($110-$30=$80, TigerDirect)
Powmax Black ATX Case with Clear Side, 80mm Fan and 400 Watt Power Supply ($40, TigerDirect)
Microsoft® Wireless Optical Desktop Pro Mouse and Keyboard Combo ($83, TigerDirect)
Samsung 173s-Black 17" 1280x1024 LCD Monitor ($430-$50=$380, TigerDirect)
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 PC 280 Watt Speaker System ($139, TigerDirect)

$2276.89+$116.04(shipping)=$2,392.93 Total -$140(rebates)=$2252.93. Ok, so I went a little over. <_<

Questions, comments?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
here a other site you can look at for prices on case they have some good deals on here they have my case for 29.99 here are the links
Click here
Click here
DALCO SITE
3tech site
ckeck out the prices on all sites you may get it down if you don't mind use more then one site to order your parts
<_<

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Check out svc.com it has lots of cases and cool stuff. <_<

Edited by Emory, 19 June 2004 - 10:56 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Just to throw a wrench in your plans <_< Here's what I'd build for the best price/performance ratio system. A mobile AMD 2500+ runs at lower a voltage and can be overclocked higher. You'll get 3200+ performance by just running the FSB at 200mhz, and you'll probably get 3400+ by pushing it.

I also upgraded your LCD to one with lower response time (better for gaming), and changed your hard drive to a RAID 0 configuration (50% better performance). Finally, the Logitech MX series mouse is way better for gaming than the MS. All around $1750 w/shipping.

AMD 2500+ mobile CPU $88 (overclock to 3200+)
Abit nForce2 motherboard $83 (stable, great overclocker)
CPU Cooler $36 (quiet and cool)
BFG nVIDIA GeForce FX5950 Ultra Video Card $365 (your choice)
Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T 2@$89 (good value, quality)
SAMSUNG 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive 2 @ $76 (RAID 0) 160gb cap. (8mb cache SATA)
Lite-On Black DVD-Dual Drive, Model LDW-811S $70.99 (no 12x media yet, prices falling fast)
Lite-On Black 16X DVD-ROM $29.50 (just a DVD drive)
Logitech Cordless MX Duo USB $75 (very nice)
SAMSUNG 710N-Black 17" LCD Monitor $419 (lower pixel response time, you can maybe do better from Dell.com)
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX Certified Speaker System $143 (your choice)
Antec Solution Series Quiet Black Mid Tower Case with 350W Power Supply $72 (no window, but quiet and a great power supply)

If you really want a dual-layer burner the NEX1600A can be hacked to dual-layer burning for about $70. Dual-layer media is VERY expensive, and not likely to come down for a while. On the other hand DVD-R is getting cheap. :D

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Lol good to see another person that likes Newegg. <_< Btw that Keyboard/Mouse combo is the one im going to get :D

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I love the parts admin as set up just one thing I would look at is the MB as dip switches I like this on my boards if I'm going to overclocking but you will need a mobile chip to do this where they are not locked I have this board and I love it soyo board
<_<

Advertisements

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Awesome! Thats the same board i have, I'm about to put it in in a few days when i get my processor and video card. <_< Cant wait!

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Admin,
I'm glad to know there are some people here that can put a system together better than me <_<! Great job of seeing what I liked and getting the price a lot lower! You lowered the price on the mobo and processor tremendously! Is a dip swotch that necesssary? I'm glad ou kept my video card. Are you telling me you want me to get 2 512 MB RAM sticks? If so, sure! What's RAID? My WD 200 GM HD was only $130-$40=$90. What's the differences there? I like you DVD burner pick. I'll just wait for Dual Layer prices to come down to upgrade. The DVD-ROM is good, nice to see both both drives to be lite-on. They must be a great company. Yeah, I was worried about that pixel response time on LCDs. On TSS, they said gamers couldn't stand the lower response time. Thanks for keeping my speakers. I heard also on TSS, that that Logitech mouse was the best gaming mouse, I just couldn' find a keyboard to go with it. I'm glad you did :D! It's good to have the keyboard, mouse, and speakers all the same brand. I really didn't need a window on my case anyway, thanks :P. Now that the price is lower, more money for games :D!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Is a dip switch that necessary?

I don't think so. It used to be dip switches were all that were available for adjusting mobo bus speeds, but as BIOS's advanced, soft BIOS technology allowed bus speeds to be adjusted from within the BIOS setup screens. However, early systems suffered from stability problems. You will have NO problems overclocking this system to it's max using the soft BIOS overclocking it provides.

Are you telling me you want me to get 2 512 MB RAM sticks?

Yes, I'd recommend two sticks of 512MB, for a total of 1gb. Two sticks are required for the best performance of this dual-channel motherboard. You could easily get by with 512MB total, but new games (especially FarCry, HL2, DoomIII) are performing much better with 1gb of RAM.

What's RAID? My WD 200 GM HD was only $130-$40=$90. What's the differences there?

RAID0 combines two drives into one virtual drive. So two 80gb drives will appear to your system as one 160gb drive. Data is divided when it is written to both drives so that the workload is balanced and more efficient. Windows, programs, and games will load faster. The drawback is that if one drives dies, data on both drives is lost. Because you're using two drives the chances of experiencing data loss due to hard drive failure is doubled.

Lite-on is the best manufacturer of optical drives in my opinion. I think you'll be much happier with the monitor, and mouse selection. When building a system many first time builders overlook the importance of the power supply. Especially when overclocking, and using a power hungry modern video card, a good quality power supply is a must. Antec makes great power supplies, and nice, quiet cases (that believe me you'll appreciate).

Tazz makes another good point about the AMD mobile processor. The come unlocked. This means the CPU multiplier can be adjusted independently of the front side bus. This is important because overclocking the front side bus overclocks many components on your motherboard. Overclocking the multiplier only affects your CPU. Finding the right combination is the key to tweaking the maximum performance. In your case, probably a 200 mhz FSB speed, and then finding the maximum multiplier setting.

P.S. I've purchased from NewEgg MANY times. Their prices are always among the lowest, and their service is top-notch.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
The Samsung monitor was $50 more at Dell.com. Is it ok to get a couple of WD instead of the Samsung hard drives?

http://www.newegg.co...-144-122&DEPA=0

Emory

Emory

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hehe, i was about to post that on here but i didnt feel like looking up the link. Thats the one i just ordered lol. Its cheap with a nice buffer <_<