Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wmsdkns.exe, other malware and antivirus kills [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modfying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot preform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

Next, lets remove the unwanted items.

Please open Notepad
  • Click Start , then Run
  • Type notepad .exe in the Run Box.
Please copy the contents of the code box below into the notepad. To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it.

Save it to your desktop has fixit.reg (filetype = any)

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons]

NOTICE: This file was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine.
Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating sysytem

Locate fixit.reg on your Desktop and double-click on it.
You will receive a prompt similar to: "Do you wish to merge the information into the registry?".
Answer "Yes" and wait for a message to appear similar to "Merged Successfully".

Please reply back letting me know if it merged correctly.

(In case you are unsure how to create a reg file, take a look here with screenshots.)

in your next reply can you tell me how your machine is running now?

andrewuk

Advertisements

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
how did that go?

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, I have to admit, I was a little nervous to try this. I don't want to mess up my machine, so I printed out each set of instructions and am going through them thoroughly so that I understand it. Because I do not know EXACTLY what I am doing, I am taking your warning and being a bit cautious. I hope to do this today. I REALLY appreciate all your help. My computer is running much better and I was able to install NOD and get back on the internet - no problem. I need to find a good firewall. Currently we are using our router as the firewall - that may not be enough? Will let you know soon how it goes! :)

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
let me know how it goes.....it shoud be fine, and we are backing up your registry anyway.

once we have done that, then we can wrap this up :)

andrewuk

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
You TOTALLY ROCK!!! Thank you! It looks like the icon was changed successfully! I had NO idea that that icon was hidden in my reg file! I will let you know how it is running....right now it looks GREAT! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :) :) :)
I will be donating to this AWESOME group!!! hwg

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, one last thing...when I reboot or start up the computer - as it is running through the startup process - it stops on "Boot from CD/DVD" then underneath that is a bunch of asci characters. I have to hit return for it to continue the boot. I do not know what is causing this - but it seems to happen each time I startup or reboot.

Should I be safe from malware/viruses with NOD running or should I get something else. I was kind of shocked that I had to go through so many different virus/malware detection programs and each of them caught some sort of malware. It would be nice if I didn't have to go through this again!
Thanks!!!
hwg

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts

OK, one last thing...when I reboot or start up the computer - as it is running through the startup process - it stops on "Boot from CD/DVD" then underneath that is a bunch of asci characters. I have to hit return for it to continue the boot. I do not know what is causing this - but it seems to happen each time I startup or reboot.

if you leave it for a few seconds does it continue onwards and boot up normally, or do you have to press return?

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have to hit return for it to complete the boot up cycle.

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
did this all start during our fix or has it been around for a while?

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
as well as the question: did this all start during our fix or has it been around for a while?

also: you dont by any chance have your Windows CD in your disc drive?

Advertisements

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

as well as the question: did this all start during our fix or has it been around for a while?

I have had this intermittently for awhile. However, after doing all the fixes on the first page of this thread it didn't happen again. Now it happens EVERY time. It isn't that big of a deal as long as it isn't a virus or other bug causing it. I have always thought it was some bit error during startup as it was pretty rare, but now I am beginning to wonder.

also: you dont by any chance have your Windows CD in your disc drive?

No, I do not have any cds or dvds in my disc drive.

Thanks!

Edited by hwg, 12 May 2008 - 10:51 AM.

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
ok, lets make sure....i am betting this is not malware related but we will do a quick scan which will gather some information.

could you run again the combofix program (double click the icon) and post the resulting combofix log and a new hijackthis log.

andrewuk

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Here they are...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:24:25 AM, on 5/12/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SnagIt - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItIEAddin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AdobeUpdater] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5\AdobeUpdater.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.mi...b?1189988193562
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: MpService - Canon Inc - C:\Program Files\Canon\MultiPASS4\MPSERVIC.EXE
O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

--
End of file - 4815 bytes

Attached Files

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Hi hwq

congratulations, your logs are clean and another fix is in the can :)

i can not see anymore malware in your logs, so once you have gone through the steps below, post the issue about "Boot from CD/DVD" in the Windows XP™, 2000, 2003, NT part of the forum, and say your machine is clear of malware......they will be better able to help you from here.

though there would be no harm in updating and doing another run with malwarebytes, though i doubt that will resolve this issue.

Should I be safe from malware/viruses with NOD running or should I get something else

coming to that now, you only need one antivirus running though, having more can slow down your system and they can conflict with each other providing less not more protection. but we can add some more security programs on top, as listed below.

in this post we will clear away the fix tools (this is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions and it will also remove the quarantined Malware from your computer), reset your restore points (there will be infections lurking in there) and i will leave you with some ideas on how to enhance the protection of your machine against future infection.

====STEP 1====
Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image
you can remove any other fix tools we used also

====STEP 2====
resetting your restore points:

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

Instructions with screenshots to help is http://www.f-secure..../sfc_dis1.shtml

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

====IDEAS TO SPEED UP YOUR MACHINE====
this page http://users.telenet...owcomputer.html gives some good ideas on how to improve the efficiency of your machine and has one or two useful links to help your further.

====AND FINALLY====
The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users, a good antispyware program to have on your machine.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
  • Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein

andrewuk

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I would like to THANK YOU for your AWESOME support in cleaning my machine from the mess it was in!!!

I have posted my other problem in the Windows XP forum and hope that someone can help me there. It isn't that big of a deal, but it means something is off.

I followed all your additional steps and came to this set of instructions. Can I install all of these programs (spyware, adware, etc...) on top of NOD? Or are you suggesting that I use these instead of NOD. I was under the impression that we could only run one virus protection software at a time.

====AND FINALLY====
The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.

• SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users, a good antispyware program to have on your machine.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
  • Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein