Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 11 won't play DVDs

• Please log in to reply

Son11

Son11

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Whats up everybody?
My name is Marc.
I have a problem, when I tried to watch a DVD on my PC the windows Media Player wouldn't play it.

This is the message I got: Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

I clicked on WEB HELP to find out what the problem is.

This is what I got: DVD Playback Options for Windows
If you are running the Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, or Windows XP operating system on your computer, you might need to install a compatible DVD decoder (also known as a MPEG-2 decoder) before continuing with the following activities.

Playing a DVD
Playing a recorded TV show
Playing video files that were encoded with the MPEG-2 codec (.mpeg, .mpg, and some .avi files)

To purchase a compatible DVD decoder, visit Plug-ins for Windows Media Player.

Now I don't know much about Computers, but how can I get a decoder for free that can do all those things and make my Windows Media Player work again, because I prefer to have one program like Windows Media Player, that can play music and DVD movies, and not a two programs that does one of them

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Software such as PowerDVD comes with the codec you need that you can then use with Media Player automatically. You quite often find this software comes with the DVD Player as standard.

nonnegabor

nonnegabor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem with my new windows 7 netbook. However, I did install Power DVD Player, and it still will not work. I've been trying to get help from Microsoft, but (unsurprisingly) no help there.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: nonnegabor

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic that is over a year old now since the last response will probably not get you any assistance. It also makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Make sure you have proper codecs.

K-lite codec is very good.

http://www.codecguid...download_kl.htm