Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beeping Computer

• Please log in to reply

Saphellae

Saphellae

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,

Man, just hit the back button and erased my entire post. =/ Well, here goes lol. :)

Let me start off by retelling what happened. Specs will follow. My computer was built by me in Oct 2007 and was working perfectly up until....

I have a hard drive from a previous computer that I hadn't gotten my information off yet. I unhooked mine and hooked this one up, only to turn it on and have nothing happen. After about 15 seconds I smelled burning and immediately powered down and removed the hard drive. The smell was coming from the hard drive I had attempted to hook up.

Deeming my information a total loss, I hooked my hard drive back up and turned on the computer after making sure all connections were secure. Nothing happened. Except an incessant beeeeeeeep beep beep...... beeeeeep beep beep. Over and over. I couldn't see if there was anything going on with startup because my monitor (stupidly) does not power on until the computer is booted.

So my question is, what did I do? Did I fry my processor? My ram? It seems that all fans are going.

By the way, I just turned on the computer and it is running fine. I'm wondering if it will freeze up again. :)

Either way, I would still like to know what happened for future reference, and if it does freeze again.

My specs are :

The hard drive I tried to hook up is Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300R0

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6000+
Mushkin 3.0 Ghz 2 gig ram
GEFORCE 8600 GT
Seagram 320G
ASUS M2A-VM

any more information needed I will be happy to provide.

I appreciate any information, thanks for reading my story!

Edited: Also, if there is any way to salvage the information on my other hard drive I would love to know :)

Edited by Saphellae, 06 May 2008 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
hard to say what happened... may just needed a bit of being off to clear everything... AS far as recovering info off that drive... if you are sure it was that drive that smoked then your only option would be data recovery company.... If the data isn't extremely valuable then write it off as you would be looking at hundreds if not thousand+ dollars...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
"Man, just hit the back button and erased my entire post. =/ Well, here goes lol. tongue.gif"

This happens with Internet Explorer but not with Firefox. For the exact same reason I started using Firefox.

Saphellae

Saphellae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am using firefox :)