Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't boot at all. Something is dead :(

• Please log in to reply

Armavir

Armavir

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all. I just got back into building, been out of the game for quite some time. Anyways, i just built a new machine, here are the specs:

MB FOXCONN 945P7AA-8KS2 945P 775 R
CPU INTEL|PDC E2180 2.0G 775 1M R
HD 80G|EXCS 7K 8M SATA2 ESJ8080S
VGA EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR 8800GTS
2 GB of OCZ ram

the case came with a suspicious psu of 430W.

So I hooked everything up, first thing i noticed new was the ATX power adapters. Should i use the 24 pin and the 4 pin near the CPU or just one. Well all in all, i tried to boot it up. The cpu fan twitches for a sec, then stops all together. I was thinking perhaps a short somewhere, so i booted up only 1 stick ram, mobo, and cpu. Same thing. Not even a peep. So i suspect something is dead/fried/DOA. I ordered a new PSU so elimante that problem, but Im somewhat at a lost. Please help me out guys, thanks! :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

the case came with a suspicious psu of 430W.

I would never trust a PSU that came within a case.

I was thinking perhaps a short somewhere, so i booted up only 1 stick ram, mobo, and cpu.

There could be a short, but the only way to verify this would be to run your computer outside of the case. I suggest running it on a piece of cardboard. Please do this once your new PSU arrives.

Should i use the 24 pin and the 4 pin near the CPU or just one.

Both must be used.

James

Armavir

Armavir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
In the case that when the new PSU, and the fan still doesn't spin up. Would that mean either the mobo or cpu are dead?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you please try booting up your hardware outside of your case to rule out a short.
DOA on CPUs are extremely low and that would be the last thing that I'd ever expect to be shot.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2008 - 06:39 PM.

Armavir

Armavir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
New PSU arrived today. I tried to boot it up on a phone book. Still no fan start up. I'm thinking now that either the cpu or mobo are dead. :) :) Should I RMA now?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Considering you seem to have ruled out a short, I'm currently leaning to believe that your CPU or motherboard isn't getting adaquate power to boot. Are you sure all the plugs are securly plugged in? Are you sure you are using the 12V plug near the CPU, it can be either a 4 pin or 8 pin connector.
Lastly, do you have an older LGA775 chip, the motherboard you have purchased may not have a BIOS recent enough to support that CPU. Though we'll worry about that later if the issue arises.
James

Armavir

Armavir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, i thought that too. But I did use the new PSU and I received the same results. All the plugs were in, just no life came from the machine. I have no older 775 chip.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm going to be honest with you, considering this motherboard is over 3 years old, I cannot find any information about it supporting the Core2duo CPUs and highly doubt it does. At the very least you'd need a older CPU to update the BIOS, though I doubt this is the case. At this time there is no reason to believe the motherboard is a dud. Just want to say sorry about the delays within my posts, I'm very busy right now with work (working 60+ hours per week).
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 May 2008 - 09:56 PM.

Armavir

Armavir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:) :) Now I am really embarrassed. I think that might it exactly.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

So have you done anything about this yet?

I'm interested in an update. :)

Cheers

Troy

Armavir

Armavir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I'm actually working on it right now. The computer hangs at verifying DMI pool data screen. I set the hard drive as the first option in the bios. No luck...

jjawm

jjawm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My guess is that the processor is not supported:

Model
Brand Foxconn
Model 945P7AA-8KS2
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Pentium D / Pentium 4 HT / Celeron D
FSB 1066/800MHz
Supported CPU Technologies Hyper-Threading Technology
Chipsets
North Bridge Intel 945P
South Bridge Intel ICH7
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 667
Channel Supported Dual Channel

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep, that's what James was getting at... Good thinking. :)

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
The 24pin is a mandatory and most 4pin plug ins are mandatory also.
My P5QL Pro wouldnt start until both were hooked up.

=3

Hope that helps.

Edit: If you don't want the 775 Ill take it.
8D

Edited by TheWhiteRose000, 04 September 2009 - 11:11 AM.