Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLUE SCREEN MISSING NTLDR

• Please log in to reply

GypsyJana

GypsyJana

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello again all, this is the 3rd and I promise last time I will ask for help from you. If I would've even gotten someone to at least answer me by telling me to trash it I wouldn't still be spending hours on here reading about the dreaded blue screen everytime I look at the [bleep] thing I paid more than I could afford for, and it is been sitting in the closet for 6 months now. I only had it a short time, I don't have the money to take it in. I have learned so much about what to do by reading all of your posts back to people who are upset because they might have to fromat their hard drive and reinstall, WOW I wish I had that problem. I own all of the original Dell discs, I purchased a whole new XP, I have reformatted other peoples pc's with a lot less than that, but when you Say DREADED BLUE SCREEN, this is a totally different problem than any of the 100's I've been reading about. Will someone please at least say you don't know, so I can trash it, but please don't just ignore my post. I do know what it's doing and I'm not ignorant. People get 20 answers on why they have no sound, I just want 1 telling me no one there knows or it's ruined, but why do you just ignore my problem? Is it not even a challenge to any of you? Guess not it's not your problem. Thanks guys been a member since 2006, love the site and have even sent a donation. Sorry I don't have a HIJACK THIS report for you all to glom over. Been real.

Message posted in 2007.............. Got no replies............

I have a Dell Deminsion 3000, and whenever I try to re-install Windows XP after using manufacturers drive cleaner CD (Lifeguard I believe). The beginning of the installation seems like it is going to work just fine, then the screen starts flickering and the screen just gets all crazy, then the installation basically stops. Then when I restart I get a message on the blue board stating that NTLDR cannot be found. I am sure you realize that I am unable to do anything at all to that thing since I can't get any further than the bad setup and the error message. I checked my XP Pro cd and it is fine, it is a full new installation of Win XP pro, I have serial number for it and all. I just hate to see it sit there and rot. I am on sons emachine now, so I do have ability to burn a cd or download any files from this pc. PLease any help is greatly appreciated. Peace and Love, JANA

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
HI GypsyJana, welcome back to G2G :) Since I wasn't around when you made you're first post, you can't blame me for not answering it :)

You say you know your XP CD is good. How do you know this? Have you used it on another computer and it worked?

There are a couple things that typically cause this kind of problem. The first is memory (RAM). I don't know how much you have but it would be a good idea to test it to see if there are any problems.

There are two programs that are normally used to test computer memory, Memtest86 and Microsoft Memory Diagnostic. They are available from the following locations:

Memtest86
[url="http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp""]Microsoft Memory Diagnostic[/url]

They are both bootable CD iso images. You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Another frequent cause of this kind of problem is a defective hard drive. You can test it by download the diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturers web site (also normally a bootable CD iso image).

GypsyJana

GypsyJana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Rich I presume, thank you for your reply, it was very kind of you. As I said in my post, I can't do anything on it. I have used Lifeguard hard drive disc to test and then totally clear my hard drive. It is clean. When I go to reinstall Windows XP, (on any one of the 3 sets of CDs I have for it, 2 factory ones from Dell, and 1 new XP pro I purchased just to try to see if IT would work), it begins just fine, format the drive then it begins to install exactly the same way on all CDs, while copying files about halfway through the BIG YELLOW line it starts jumping and stalling, then the screen starts to screw up. It gets all contorted and you can hardly even make out what is on it, you just know it has stopped! No matter how many times I have gone through the whole process, no matter what CDs, it starts this at about the same place. So you see I am totally unable to even install windows, let alone do any testing on the thing. I have Nero on this PC which is my sons, I can burn a CD on here, but would the only one I can get to work is the Lifeguard Dos one. I can't get windows back up. I checked the tower, I put this hard drive on it and all I get is the BLUE SCREEN, I have changed CD decks, I have checked my RAM cards, the only message I have gotten is NTLDR is missing. It has me so angry, I am bout done, just thought at least someone might give me the word and tell me to junk it, then I guess I would stop thinking about it. I thank you for being so sweet, and pardon my flip attitude, I am just trying to stop the madness. LOve & LIGHT, JANA

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Gypsy Jana
Could you open your tower and check that the fans are running. Also with out touching anything inside the case
can you look at the motherboard and see if you notice any blown capacitors
Click here
They will look bulged or leaking.
Because your computer starts and then gives up it could be Overheating So check the fan on the cpu keeps running. Power supply - check fan or blown caps.
Cheers
Peterm