Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
System Restore creates restore points, and I can create restore points, but if I try to restore I get the message that it can not restore to that point, try another restore point. But none of them work - always the same message. Is there any way to repair System Restore (short of a complete re-install of AP)?

XP sp2 Media Center edition.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
hi matofthemint

http://www.kellys-ko....com/xp_abc.htm

Look under S for system restore.

I also found this if you want to try it.

http://wiki.answers...._System_Restore

Or you can do a repair install, but I don't think that's needed.

Or start/run 'sfc /scannow' which scans for system file errors.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I've found that deleting all existing restore points then creating new ones, and limiting the space allocated to System Restore, seems to keep it working well. I do this every few months and have never had System Restore fail.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I tried that and it doesn't work. I even tried using the restore disk from Dell and that didn't work. Found out later that a restore disk won't do it, that a need the XP disk which, of course, I don't have.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You could try a Repair Install. It leaves your data and most programs intact.

Would still be a good idea to back up your data now, before doing anything else, just in case.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Tried the Repair Install and it didn't work. If I do a complete restore to as out of the box, that would work, but I don't want to do that unless it is the last resort.

As I said above, the XP CD is needed. I am going to ask Dell to send me one - I'm told they will if requested. We'll see.

I did manage to get a restore in Safe Mode after several tries, but that doesn't create a usable restore point. I have created my own restore point and will try it in Safe Mode on the morrow.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you don't have a CD, how did you try to do the Repair Install? It needs the XP CD just like a clean install does.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
When I said I used the restore disk, I did the repair part. I should have made that clear - sorry about that.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you order a replacement CD from Dell? You can do this from their web site. Cost is usually around $20.

While you're waiting, this would be a good time to backup your data so when the CD gets there, you can do a full restore to factory state then reload your data.

The Dell CD supports both a Repair Install and a Clean, factory state restore, at least the couple I've used did.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks for your interest and suggestions.
My Dell Inspiron has a partition with a restore to factory state built in, but I will use it as a last resort.
I have ordered an XP SP2 CD from Microsoft that has an item on it that I can use to restore, or at least repair, System Restore (according to Microsoft). If that doesn't work, then I suppose I will have to go to a 'factory state restore'.
I've backed up every thing that is important just in case. I would just like to not have to the 'factory state', having to get rid of all the junk, installing all the programmes, all the many updates, and getting every thing just the way I want it.

Again, my thanks, I appreciate your interest and help. I'll let you know how it works out, but Microsoft said it would be about for weeks till I get the CD.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The Dell recovery partition on my Inspiron 6000 has two options, Repair (install over) and clean (format and install). It defaults to doing a Repair. You need to select Advanced to get the clean install which puts the machine back to factory state.

So if you boot it and let it do a Repair Install, you should not lose any data and most programs will be okay, though some will have to be reinstalled. You would then have to download and install 90+ Windows Updates or better yet, install SP3.

What model do you have?

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I thought that if I have to do a 'factory install' SP 3 would be the way to go.

As I said, I'll see what the SP 2 CD will do before I try the factory install. If it works, I'm ahead. And I'll let you know what happens.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ztruker, The SP 2 CD didn't help (it got here sooner than thay said it would), but I noticed that SuperAntiSpyware has a 'repair System Restore', tried that and it worked.