Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No HD found on HP dv9000

• Please log in to reply

johnstontl72

johnstontl72

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Start laptop and bios boots fine then goes to black screen says please wait. 30 seconds later nothing and the system reboots. Go into bios and tried hd self test but bios says no drive found. Boot from dvd drive with xp disk and get same error from windows of no drive found. Pulled drive from laptop and put back in. Still same error. I have new replacement drive on order from Newegg. But I hope it is a drive problem and not the laptop.
Any thoughts of what might be cause the drive to not apear? The only change to the system was an upgrade of memory from 1gb to 2 gb. system booted fine after the upgrade. but then out of the blue no hard drive?

system is;
HP DV9000
Seagate 5400.2 ata 100gb
Windows XP media center edition 05
dvd player

Thanks,
T

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
First guess is that the hard drive died.... they are mechanical unless you have a very expensive solid state one so they eventually break like anything else mechanical...

johnstontl72

johnstontl72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks I figured as much. I was hoping I had laptop prob. I do still need to try and ge any info saved off the drive if I can. Any suggestions?

T

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well you MIGHT be able to use data recovery software if you can put it into a machine that will either see the drive or allow you to put the settings in manually.... otherwise you would have to look at professional data recovery ( $$$$ 100-1000+ $$$$ )