Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply

Warden

Warden

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
When I start up my Compaq laptop a screen pops up giving me the option to boot in safe mode or last know good config. No option will boot the machine. It always returns to the same screen. When I try last known good config the machine looks as if it will boot but then returns me to the screen with the options to boot in safe, last known good config or boot normally. Same goes for booting in safe mode.

So I booted with a xp disc and went into recovery mode. This has fixed he problem in the past. Now the recovery completes and upon reboot it makes it just up to the windows login screen before rebooting once again. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? Thanks.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Use the XP cd and boot to the Recovery Console.

Once in there, type in chkdsk /r and press enter.

Let it finish, remove the XP cd and reboot.

Murray

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks Murray. I ran chkdsk /r and rebooted. Now the system starts off with the compaq screen (f10=setup), followed by the windows screen, followed by what would be the login screen with the blue background. Each time it reaches this point, before the login box appears the machine reboots yet again and follows the same path. Any ideas for that?

I ahve had disk errors in the past and they have always been cured by the chkdsk /r. Last night the computer suffered a power failure due to a bad outlet. I have run the chkdsk several times thus far.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. Using the XP cd, you will need to go past the Recovery Console and to the "Repair" option.

You will need to re-install all critical updates and Service Packs after.

Murray

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
OK. So instead of doing chkdsk /r what needs to be done from the recovery/repair console?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nothing in the Recovery Console. If you continue past the RC, you will get to an option to "Repair" XP. That's what you want.

You could also try the "Fixboot" command through the Recovery console first.

Murray

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
OK. Thanks so much for our help thus far Murray. It is greatly appreciated. I have just tried fixboot and am rebooting now. That did not work. So I am going back and booting from the cd. It brings me into the windows setup blue screen. I then hit r for repair and it brings me into the recovery console. How do I bypass this to get to the repair function?

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
The setup screen gives me three options. 1. enter to set up xp now. 2. r to repair windows xp using recovery console. 3. quit to exit recovery console.

Not sure how to proceed from here. Any more help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Use the #1 option.

Murray

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Murray, just figured it out. I am in the repair mode now. I will let you know if I am successful. Thanks again and have a nice day.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem.

Murray

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks Murray. Success in rebooting. For anyone else who has a similar problem and uses the repair method just make sure that you have your xp product key, otherwise it will not allow you to complete the install. Thanks again for the guidance Murray. Greatly appreciated.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Glad we could help.

Murray