Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whirring background humming

• Please log in to reply

stern

stern

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi
Not quite sure if what is mentioned as the Topic Title is correct. H/ever a brief description of my problem is as follows:
Regardless of how much CPU indicated in process section of Windows Task Manager I get a constant background noise/whirring sound.
To be honest I have no idea what causes this irregularity and don't quite know what procedure to perform in an effort to discover the source or culprit responsible.
I am attaching screenshots which shows the state of my Task Manager in the hope it may be of some use.
Any information required will be gladly provided on request which might prove helpful.

Stern

Advertisements

dinnerentre

dinnerentre

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
the noise could be caused by a failing fan, hard drive, or maybe a loose screw or rivet in the case, you will really just need to take the side panel off and listen closely to find out where the problem is

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Dinnerentre

Did as u suggested but to no avail. Problems still exist.
With limited experience as far as hardware is concerned, I think will have to get someone with experience to have a close examination in detail.
Fan appears to be working OK. In fact it is currently running nonstop which in fact did not appear to be the case earlier.
The CPU fluctuates between 1% - 750% plus. What I do notice is that when I open Windows Task Manager the CPU shows very usage and immediately drops to between 1% - 3% . Even so this constant whirring sound persists.
I wud guess not a good sign.

Asap, I will definitely get urgent help and get back to you t/after.

Stern