Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible SP3 problem

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Wanted to burn the SP3 ISO to a CD for the shop I work at, so I tried to install ISO Recorder, which is a .msi (MicroSoft Installer) file. If fails under SP3 with this error:

[attachment=20468:ISORecorder_fail.gif]

I installed this previously with SP2 with no problems: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/

Edited by Ztruker, 07 May 2008 - 07:40 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Why not download the .exe file instead and just save it on a data CD? It will work just the same. It's 316mb, I was able to download on a Linux machine with no problem at all.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.theelderg...ed_xpsp3_cd.htm

thats for release candidate 1
might do the same for the official xpsp3

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Tyger, that's not the point of my post. It looks like SP3 broke install of .msi files. I already have the exe and have installed it. I wanted to burn the iso to CD for work.

Can anyone else try it and see if it works/fails for them? If you already have ISO Buster installed, uninstall and reinstall it and see if it works or not.

Also just ran into another problem. Received an E-mail with an attached wmv file. I double clicked to open it (from a trusted friend) and instead of opening VLC Media player as it did before SP3, it opens another SeaMonkey window and does nothing.

If I save the file then double click on it from Windows Explorer it opens in VLC as it should.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Wanted to burn the SP3 ISO to a CD for the shop I work at, so I tried to install ISO Recorder, which is a .msi (MicroSoft Installer) file. If fails under SP3 with this error:

[attachment=20468:ISORecorder_fail.gif]

I installed this previously with SP2 with no problems: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/

Hi Ztrucker , If I understand you correctly . You were trying to install isorecorder software for xp sp2 on your xp sp3 computer but it fail to install or load , Yes ?

Edited by snooker, 08 May 2008 - 02:52 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Ah! I need to learn to read! I see now that I was trying to install a SP2 ISO Recorder. I thought it was just V2. How/why is it Service Pack specific I wonder. I see now it's quite specific on Alex's wen site.

I sent him a query about a SP3 version.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Ztruker, 08 May 2008 - 03:24 PM.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
It happen to everyone , I know it does with me ... I think we call that being normal , not perfect lol

Edited by snooker, 08 May 2008 - 03:41 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
But ... but ... but ... I am prefrect perfetc perft... ah forgot ti. :)