Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 Bit

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I'm thinking about redoing my system and was wondering about Vista 64 bit version. Would it be worth getting for down the road? Or should I just get 32 version. Also what affect would it have for software?? Looking to get new prossesor and board. What would be a good jump and also Intel or AMD?? I always stuck with intel.

Asus P5AD2-E Premium
Antec Case
P4 Socket 775 3.4g
3 Gig pc2 5400 Hyper X Kingston Dual Channel
ATI 256 Radon 700 Pro PCI Express
160 Maxtor SATA Drive
200 Maxtor SATA Drive
120 Samsung IDE 133
80 Maxtor IDE 133
Sony Optriac DVD AD-7170S 18x
Sony 835 A DRU 18x
Sony 820DRU 16x

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What do you intend on using your computer for?
James

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is like saying I have a Mini, I was wondering about a Ferrari and asking is it worth it?

To tootle off to work and back, a Mini is fine for what it is. A Ferrari will be worthy of the extra money if you don't take off it off the motorway/freeway.
Likewise, 64-bit Vista is only worth it if you're going to use the extra it offers.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Muti tasking, video rendering not really into games. Mainly pics and video, DVD. Just would like a faster system. I use Sony vegas alot. Any free reg cleaners out there that work. I use Clean up alot seem to like it from Steve Gould. Latly my system is slow and slow on startup and shutdown. Thinking of reloading it but just hate to istall all programs again. I like to do that once or twice a year but it is getting old.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For video rendering you'd be better off, if you aren't already, using the secondary drives as data storage and for the temporary files, otherwise things will get very slow. I don't think 64-bit Vista will help you, in all honesty.

However can you please clarify what you mean by "ATI 256 Radon 700 Pro PCI Express". Do you mean an ATI Radeon X700?

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes that is what I ment. X700. I do also use seconadry drives for that. Also thinking of getting a networkable external drive. Any suggestions?? So I can put files up to pull of anywhere.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Muti tasking, video rendering not really into games. Mainly pics and video, DVD. Just would like a faster system. I use Sony vegas alot. Any free reg cleaners out there that work. I use Clean up alot seem to like it from Steve Gould. Latly my system is slow and slow on startup and shutdown. Thinking of reloading it but just hate to istall all programs again. I like to do that once or twice a year but it is getting old.

Hi there cradl. Seeing that you're looking for reg cleaners and registered in GeekU, I think I'd point you to this discussion in GeekU regarding reg cleaners started by sari.
I don't know if you'd read it already though.
http://www.geekstogo...rs-t196139.html