Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot up if my 2nd HDD is connected anymore

• Please log in to reply

platinum gold

platinum gold

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Pc not booting up whilst 2nd HDD is connected.

I've got 2 hard drives, one for operating system, the other one is for all my data/music/files.

Its been running great for a few years, rock solid, never a problem... until I downloaded a crack/code for soundforge off a dodgy warez type site.

Since then, I've not been able to reboot, not even in safe mode. I went into the PC and through trial and error, disconnected one of the hard drives (not the C windows one) and boots up fine with just the C drive on its own.

I believe I've cleaned my C drive of all trojans and infections 100% clean, and double checked at trend micro and panda scans online, avg anti spyware, spybot and avast. So the C drive is probably not infected with anything.

But what can i do about my other hard drive, when i connect it, (with the pc off obviously), then I cant get the pc to boot up at all, and thats the drive thats got all my data on, so I'll be needing it on and working by sunday evening so I can carry on with my work.

p.s. in case this has any bearing on the matter...I tried doing a windows repair using my windows xp disc early on in the equation before i could find out what was wrong, and it wouldn't even let me go on to install the windows on C, as it 'did not contain a windows xp compatible partition on the disc above'. Prompting me to go back and create a windows partition, of which I know absolutely nothing about, but that seemed very odd, don't recall that problem installing xp ever before.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

GLENPTG

GLENPTG

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi. First try this. With just c:\ connected go into Enter Setup. Make sure the slave drive is isn't disabled (or None) If it is, enable it or choose AUTO. Shutdown.connect your other drive start your computer up then see what happens.