Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help me Choose my Gaming Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

• Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, as you can already tell by the title im somwhat of a gamer. Although the laptop is mostly for work use I like to play a little something every once in a while. And now I am in a PICKLE! Cant decide whether its better for me to go with a Mobility Radeon HD3650 or a GeForce 8600GT 512Mb. Now I know for sure when it comes to gaming you cant beat the 8800m, but I dont want to just shrug and say ¨OK, cant beat Nvidia¨ Dont take this the wrong way, I respect Nvidia, my first card was an TNT Riva 32Mb in witch I played many a battle in Unreal Tournament. Its just that lately all my cards have been Radeon and I have a good feel for them, passed gears of war without a hickup on my X1950 so I cant complain, and I still have a machine with an AGP 9800Pro that rips through titles of its age like butter. BUT...

I have seen benchmarks in wich the HD3650 doesnt quite keep up with the 8600m GT 256! 256! The 3650 is 1Gb and it doesnt keep up with a 256! That really ticks me off! Well as you can see I do need help. Before you say ¨just go with the 8800m¨ Ive made a series of customs online that surpass the 2000$ mark. Alienware, Rock and ect. Dual 8800m seem like a waist since I dont play many SLI compatible games. So I have a 300$ card not doing a Darn thing! So I lean towards the second best wich would be an 8600M or the ATI HD3650. The other thing I like about this ATI is just the fact of being able to say that I have a Gig of video! Makes anyone green with envy. So, the final verdict would be whether anyone can give a little more input on both cards put to the test on specific games. I could suggest Crysis as a Test since its the one that hogs all PC resource so a playable framerate on either card would be more of push towards either card. My motto right now is... If it can play Crysis, it can do anything!

Thanks allot in advance for the help.

Advertisements