Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No cd, no boot part still have key

• Please log in to reply

mikhael

mikhael

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My friend has his old hp computer and needs to reload xp (or rather bring it back to the original out of box state). he loast his install cd(s) and i checked there isn't a repair partition on his drive. He does still have his cd key (its on a sticker on the case) how can I install windows xp for him without his disk? I tried using my disk and his key but it didn't work. any other ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If your disk is an upgrade disk it will not accept his code. Likewise if your disk was OEM and he had an upgrade code, it still wouldn't work. Need to use an OEM CD with an OEM licence.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Order a restore CD from HP, $20-$30.

mikhael

mikhael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
was an oem disk on an oem hp. and as far as the ordering a new disk goes. not all mfgrs will let you. I spoke with a rep at a local tech shop and he said they could do it with just the code but it would cost 140 bucks. (a new oem disk is like 100?) he said "we can do it without the disk but you wouldn't be able to." something told me that with enough googleing or a quick post here i could know his $140 secret

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings mikhael,

I work at a shop that is a HP ASP. (Authorized service provider) We have a library of restore disks at our disposal that HP sends us to repair HP/Compaq computers. We have stuff going back before the year 2000.

We do charge for reimaging computers that are outside of manufactures warranty, or by user request. Not anywhere near 140.00 though. Prices depends on if we have to baby sit through hours of updates to the lastest service packs or chase down missing drivers.

Ztrucker is correct, Hp will sell you a set of recover media for your machine if they are availible.

You can start the ball rolling by calling 1-800-HPINVENT. Be sure to have your product number, serial number and model of your machine. Roughly in the price range Ztrucker quoted.

Order them yourself, or dont be surprised if the Retail shop tacks on its mark up if they order them for you.

Regards

Kaz.

mikhael

mikhael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
do you happen to know the number for other manufacturers disk replacement centers? like dell or gateway?

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings mikael

There is no such thing as a "Disk replacement center" you call customer service at Dell or you call customer service at Gateway. You make your request and you pay your money.

Google is your friend, or go have a visit at their web sites. ie, www.Dell.com or www.gateway.com. There is no secret handshake or decoder rings required.

Regards

Kaz.

mikhael

mikhael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
when calling gateway recently they told me i would need to buy a whole new license to get a disk. never mind we had a perfectly good licens they wanted me to buy a new one.

mikhael

mikhael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I was able to resolve this issue after a talk with a friend who works at bb. I am posting it here in case someone else runs into the same problem

If you or anyone you know has a computer that came loaded with windows xp and the key is on a sticker on the side all you need to reinstall windows is an oem disk for that version of the os (IE home or pro) install as usual and when it asks give it the key on the sticker. FIXED!!!

Now, you may have trouble finding the OEM cds and there I cant help you. I have them but im pretty sure if i hosted them Microsoft would have a hissy.
Correct me if im wrong on that. but I'm pretty sure even without the cd keys Microsoft wouldnt appreciate me posting the iso files.

Hope this helps anyone who may have run into this issue