Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP: My laptop keeps crashing...screen distortion and neon colors!

• Please log in to reply

DGreen28

DGreen28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

My first thought is a heat issue. Make sure your laptop has plenty of circulation around it and that your fans are working properly. If you can download or if you already have installed some monitor software to track the temperature, have it log the temps to a file at regular intervals.

I can hear the fans working....and it was placed on my desk. It should have plenty of circulation, right? I'm not using the computer regularly but I downloaded speedfan.

Does speedfan have a setting to track and log the temp?

Edited by DGreen28, 27 May 2008 - 08:43 PM.

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
OK sorry I see where you said you installed SpeedFan earlier. yes it does have a way to log, if you click on Configure, it will open a window with a bunch of tabs, 1 of those being Log. Enable that and let it run for a bit while you do your normal stuff on the computer.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you are using a Dell system you can run the Dell diagnostics to test if the video card is bad. To get into the Diagnostics turn off the computer, turn it back on and press F12. Choose Diagnostics. Let it go though the first set of diagnostics. Then on the Second set of diagnostics choose Custom then video. Run those tests let me know if you get a error on those tests.

DGreen28

DGreen28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

If you are using a Dell system you can run the Dell diagnostics to test if the video card is bad. To get into the Diagnostics turn off the computer, turn it back on and press F12. Choose Diagnostics. Let it go though the first set of diagnostics. Then on the Second set of diagnostics choose Custom then video. Run those tests let me know if you get a error on those tests.

The computer shut off after (or during?) the diagnostics. I'll try again now.

I remember after it completes the first part it asks Yes or No if I want to run more test. Is there a key to press to get to the second part of diagnostics? I'll keep trying but at this point it keeps shutting down...even when i try to boot it up regularly.

edit: I ran some of these tests...

http://support.euro....c...;l=hu&s=gen

they didnt really help

Edited by DGreen28, 28 May 2008 - 04:49 PM.

DGreen28

DGreen28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

OK sorry I see where you said you installed SpeedFan earlier. yes it does have a way to log, if you click on Configure, it will open a window with a bunch of tabs, 1 of those being Log. Enable that and let it run for a bit while you do your normal stuff on the computer.

just did that, thanks

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Usually when there is neon colors that means that there is some sort of heat issue I would recommend taking it somewhere such as Geek Squad to see if your CPU cooler is working or fans. Or you could open it yourself but I don't recommend since its a laptop. But if there is minimal heat you could get a Laptop Cooler. But I really doubt that there is minimal heat if there was then your laptop wouldn't crash that much as it does.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Post some of the logs from speedfan so we can see the temperature highs and lows.

DGreen28

DGreen28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

After the first set of diagnostics, it's only gives me an option of Yes or No to continue further tests.

After the second set of diagnostics the computer powers off

Edited by DGreen28, 28 May 2008 - 11:52 PM.

DGreen28

DGreen28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Post some of the logs from speedfan so we can see the temperature highs and lows.

how do i do that? where are the logs?

I guess my Core 0 & Core 1 are always hot...
...?

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801HB ICH8 SMBUS at $10C0
Found nVidia Quadro 130M NVS
Unable to read Video BIOS
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
Scanning Intel SMBus at $10C0...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found Hitachi HTS722012K9A300 (120.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (31.5C)
Found Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
End of detection
Loaded 0 events
AC is OFFLINE Battery Charge HIGH
Battery Life Percentage 92%
Battery Life Time 6795 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 91%
Battery Life Time 6862 seconds
Battery Life Time 6979 seconds
Battery Life Time 6606 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 90%
Battery Life Time 6859 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 89%
Battery Life Time 3992 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 88%
Battery Life Time 5403 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 87%
Battery Life Time 5958 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 86%
Battery Life Time 5985 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 85%
Battery Life Time 6015 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 84%
Battery Life Time 5957 seconds
Battery Life Percentage 83%
Battery Life Time 5796 seconds

Edited by DGreen28, 30 May 2008 - 01:10 PM.

DGreen28

DGreen28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Would a cooling pad help....?

:)

Advertisements

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes most likely unless your CPU fan completely broke then you would need to go somewhere to fix it.

DGreen28

DGreen28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
UPDATE

I've been using my laptop a decent amount the last few days and it has yet to crash. I re-installed windows a few times but other than that I don't really know what could have fixed it. The problem now is that it is running extremely slow. I can only run a program or two at a time. When viewing websites (IE & Firefox) and running programs it's extremely slow and there is a very bad lag and a trail of the program on the screen. It's nearly impossible to navigate a web page with out using the page-down button. It's also impossible for me to watch any video online because of the lag. It's not my internet, it's definitely my computer. It obviously wasn't like this before
Any idea what might me going on now? Anything i can try?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Edited by DGreen28, 21 June 2008 - 12:05 PM.