Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Buffering and Low Network Utilization

• Please log in to reply

EPW

EPW

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been trying to stream some online videos recently and the buffering process is very slow, so I pressed CTRL+ALT+DELETE and pulled up the Network tab and noticed that my network utilization is generally hovering around like 2-5%. That seems like a huge waste, why can't I put all 100% of my network to the task of downloading that video? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
First, welcome to Geeks-To-Go. What you're seeing here is the maximum limit of what your network card can handle versus the actual speed of your cable modem. Typically the maximum throughput of the network card is 100 megabits per second. Whereas, the typically modem has a maximum throughput of around 2-6 megabits per second. So, as you can see, that would be about 2-5% of the maximum throughput of the network card which Windows is monitoring.

The reason behind your streaming video problem could be because you have other programs that are taking up bandwidth or someone else on your network is using a lot of bandwidth or even your computer resources could be causing some delays.

Also, you could use DSLReports to check your connection speed just for a reference: http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Let me know if you have any questions :)

EPW

EPW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gravity Gripp,
Thx a bunch for getting back to me, its very disappointing to hear that the modem is not capable of keeping up with the network card. I ran a speed test with broadstar and it clocked my download speed at 754 Kb/s and upload at 129Kb/s. Do you think its my connection that is to blame, or might there be something else that is giving me slow buffering? Thx for all the help.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I have a basic connection from my ISP and here are my stats.
4332 Kb/s down
352 Kb/s up

As you can see, my numbers are some what higher which means one of two things. Either someone or some program is taking the bandwidth away from you or it could just be normal for your ISP.

Here's a couple of questions, is your computer hooked directly up to a modem or do you share your internet connection with others? Secondly, what type of connection do you have? DSL or Cable? That could also make a difference. Also, check the documentation on your connection type, see if they have advertise their minimum transfer rates.

Let me know :)

EPW

EPW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I believe I have a DSL connection through Bellsouth. Their is a modem in the office that is connected to a desktop but this computer is a laptop that I connect with wirelessly.