Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering files from system with Dyne:bolic?

• Please log in to reply

rawfunk

rawfunk

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello...

I recently saw my hard drive die under strange circumstances (http://www.geekstogo...pd-t193726.html ), and have been unsuccessful in reviving it.

A friend of mine told me I could boot with a dyne:bolic CD, and pull my files from my dead hard drive. I don't understand. I've booted up with dynebolic, looked through it a bit, but not yet managed to locate any old files.

It seems like a massive long [bleep] to me, but if anyone here has had any experience with this, any advice would be very very precious to me!

Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The discussion in the other thread suggests that your hard drive is mechanically dead. If this is the case the only way you'll get anything off it now is to send it away for professional data recovery which will cost a fortune with no guarantees. With a mechanically defunct unit the software you use becomes irrelevant, because if the BIOS can't see the drive, nothing else will.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 May 2008 - 04:25 PM.

rawfunk

rawfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Clearly time to give up then, finally.

Thanks for your swift response, means I'll waste much less of my time!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Dyne:bolic is an excellent tool for this sort of thing, if it saw the disk it would appear as an icon on the desktop and you would have no problem opening it.