Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where do you put the CGIs?

• Please log in to reply

candide

candide

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have implemented a simple server, KF server, on my computer, which works perfectly well. The function I wish to add to it is the ability to allow users to upload files and have them stored on my hard disk. This apparantly requires a CGI, and my question is: where do I put it? Most cites describing CGI's tell you to ask this question of your system administrator. But my system administrator is me, and when I asked me, me replied that he did not know! I feel confident that the server can handle CGI's because it contains parameters, such as the time-out for user responses, which refer to CGI's. Can I simply make a (password-protected) directory called "CGI-bin" and put all the CGI's in there?

While we are on the subject, I would welcome suggestions on where I can contain the simplest CGI to allow a user to upload a file. I should mention that there are only a small number of users, all of whom are trusted, and that my OS is XP.

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
if you use a server and have a www directory, you should place all CGI's in the cgi-bin directory

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2007-12-29 11:38 cgi-bin

bsbaker{pts/0}:/var/www>

(above is an example from a linux box I am a user of)

In linux, it resides in /var/www - However, it may reside in wwwroot or www, or whatever your config files state. All CGI's go in the cgi-bin directory - however, I am not sure if a password is required for CGI's to work, but your could have a password protected secure directory for your users, if your configs are set up for this. Make sure your permissions are set properly :)

Good Luck!!!

Brian