Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stopped working - power comes on - no boot, no screen

• Please log in to reply

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi...I was using my computer one day, and left it on (as always), came back the next day and moved the mouse, but nothing! My monitor button stayed in the "yellow mode" and would not turn green. If I turn the monitor off, then on, it tells me "No Signal"...so this means the monitor works.

I turned the computer power off and turned it on, pushed the on button, the HD lights up and both CD/DVD's lights come on, then go out. The HD light stays on briefly, then goes out. If I hit the reset button, all drives with go through their lights, but soon the HD light stops again. NOTHING shows up on the screen, not even the BIOS screen...totally blank.

I tried a bootable CD in the one drive - it will spin, but will not boot from it. After the CD drive stops turning, the HD light stays on a bit longer, then stops, just as it does if no CD is in the Drive.

The light on my MB comes on so I know power is getting to it. This is homemade computer...ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe, P4, 2 gigs DDR RAM, an APG 256K Video card, Sony LCD display, Turtle Beach Sound card, XP Pro, main HD is WD 80 GIG (programs and O/S), and secondary WD 120 GIG HD (Data Storage), and Enermax 465 watt power. This MB is about 3 years old. The same thing happened 2-1/2 years after my first build with a Shuttle MB...after I replaced it with this new MB, everything worked fine. Is 2-1/2 - 3 years about the life of a MB?

Any thoughts...keeping in mind I do not have extra parts around to replace vid card, etc for testing. Since it won't boot from the CD drive AND I cannot even get a BIOS Screen on the display, do you think it may be the MB? Thanks for ALL replies.

Cory

Advertisements

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
This has happened to me too before, monitor light was yellow tryed to boot up num lock key would come on but no screen response pitch black, thought it was my motherboard at first cause there was no bios screen nothing, so I had a tech friend of my moms come in and he fiddled around put different video cards in and that was the case so I bought a new one O_o, but not too sure really.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Epsilon, for the information...My light has been green on my MB. I have a BT Keyboard and Mouse so no lights are coming on since the computer has to really boot up for them to work. Someone wrote about taking the memory sticks out and see if the MB beeps...if it doesn't make any noise, more than likely it is the MB. The CPU fan and all case fans work, however, I don't think the fan on my Video Card is working...but a bad video card wouldn't cause the computer not to boot up, correct?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might try substituting the power supply, you don't even have to mount the sub, just connect it to all the devices. Even though the PSU is good on a tester it may not work under load. Also remove the CPU heat sink and see what is under it, sometimes the thermal connection is not correct.

Captain Zero

Captain Zero

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a setup like yours and the same thing happened to me recently. Replace the battery on the Mobo. A $2 part saved me a lot of grief. :)

These boards have been rockstar performers but their batteries are starting to drop off. BIOS gets real flakey when that happens.