Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop Keyboard PROBLEM :(

• Please log in to reply

Plies

Plies

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi, I have a HP Pavilion ze4540us Laptop Computer. Some of the buttons on the keyboard started recently not working, so I took it apart only to find that the keyboard ribbon wont fit (*and/or*) doesn't stay in the slot on the motherboard. It looks like it may have had some kind of fastener at one point but it looks long gone (used laptop, but had for a good while now.)
The ribbon itself is short and the end is just a very straight blueish end-of-the-ribbon. The slot it fits in seems like it would actually fit in it but the closer you look at it you can clearly see it doesn't, and something may have hooked on to it from the sides at one point. I may be able to post some pictures (2.0 mega pixel camera phone though) if requested.

Now I know I couldn't have broken or snapped anything when I took apart the computer & I know the entire keyboard was working fine before this suddenly happened. Now if anyone knows if and or what I can do for this, even if its a temporary solution, please let me know.

(I know I could always just hook up another keyboard and use that instead, but the point of a laptop is to be MOBILE ;-) and that what I'm tying to do. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Plies, 11 May 2008 - 09:48 PM.

Advertisements

Plies

Plies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Bump...........

I've searched the internet for hours today trying to figure out a solution, and im completely stumped as to where to even start. Even called some local computer shops, and lets just say im a little too strapped for cash right now to take it to them so they can "look at it" for $55 -.- .... so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by Plies, 12 May 2008 - 08:25 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
your keyboard sounds like it has a connector similar to what the old dell's used to use. Called an edge connection. Typically it's a ribbon cable that just seats into a connector. Normally there is a small clip that just barely lifts up.

Something like this: http://www.laptoprep...aptop-keyboard/

If it is broken then you have 3 choices.

Duct tape
super glue (very carefully applied)
time for a new laptop as it would require a new motherboard.

Plies

Plies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The problem is that the keyboard ribbon doesn't necessarily fit the slot it is going into. The sides seem not to touch, because unless the ribbon is perfectly angled inside the slot, no keys will work. For example, lets say I just insert the ribbon into the connector as far as it will go without forceing anything, THe keyboard will not work at all. I must fool around with it pushing the ribbon down/around (thats bad for the ribbon itself, I know) to get it to work. Then, once I move it the slightest, keyboard is dead again. Maybe the connectors ain't touching?

I just took some pictures so you would understand/see my problem a little bit better. Please help, as I do not enjoy carrying an extra External keyboard with me everywhere I go. I also do not have the cash to buy a new motherboard or to buy a new laptop in general, so please, if there any way to rig it, or anything of that nature, PLEASE let me know, as I desperately need this laptop working.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Plies, 16 May 2008 - 07:41 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try taking a normal pencil eraser and erasing both sides of the contacts on the ribbon. Hard to tell, but the pics make it look like there is some build-up on the contacts.

Plies

Plies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you starjax, but there is no build-up & I do apologize about the pictures, the are of poor quality.

It's almost like the connector the ribbon goes in is slightly bigger then it should be (therefor making the ribbon appear slightly smaller then it should be, hence the broken connector).

I have searched the internet for days now and found a few people with similar problems. Seems all of their problems was fixed by buying a new motherboard (not an option for me), and one guy claims to have fixed his using some kind of elastic.

Any ideas/suggestions/possibilities anyone has, please feel free to share, as I am now stuck.

Edited by Plies, 16 May 2008 - 08:22 AM.

Yanktongal

Yanktongal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem with my Dell inspiron 5323, except the teeth in the connector is stuck shut. I have tried prying it open but to no avail. Any help will be infinitely appreciated.