Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My laptop crashes after about 30 seconds on the desktop unless it

• Please log in to reply

Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there Geeks, I'm in need of some serious help!

Since about 1700 GMT yesterday my Acer Aspire 3690 laptop has been shutting itself down, simply just cutting out, after any time between 5 seconds or 15 minutes. I didn't think it would be the power as I virtually always keep my laptop plugged into the mains.

Yesterday it was worse, I could hardly get anything out of it before it cut out. I left my laptop turned off but plugged into the mains overnight and it was fully charged this morning. This morning I opened up my laptop in Safe Mode and I found that it would work in Safe Mode but not in the normal boot mode for some bizarre reason. I cleaned out the fan as it was suggested that it was overheating so I got rid of the huge amount of dust in the back and booted it up normally and it now crashes when the desktop has loaded up after about 30 seconds. Now I'm in Safe Mode and it works but I really want to get my laptop back to normal working mode. :)

I have a 440 @ 1.86GHz processor and I have a 2GB RAM stick installed. It came with a 512MB RAM but I bought and installed a new one myself about 2 months ago and it looks to have worked fine so I don't think it's anything to do with that. I've had no problems with the RAM.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have run System Repair from the boot screen and it still does it, and I've even restored the laptop to a restore point about 24 hours before the problem started... And it still crashes on the desktop.

I hope someone has an idea as to what the problem is?

Thanks In Advance, Jammin. :)

Edited by Jammin Jaguar, 12 May 2008 - 06:14 AM.

Advertisements

Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oops, wrong place for HJT logs.

Anyone?

Edited by Jammin Jaguar, 12 May 2008 - 07:09 AM.
No HijackThis logs here

Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Fixed, it was a registry error that was spotted by RegistryBooster2.

Panic over... For now.