Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reading Hotmail From GMail?

• Please log in to reply

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I am looking for a free and safe way of accessing my Hotmail email from my new GMail account, preferably using a POP server. As far as I am aware, Hotmail does not have POP3 for their free users, and services out there charge a fee after the trial period.

Thank you for any assistance.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are specific Hotmail POP3 programs available, but not sure how good they work. See if FreePops will work for you. These I've no experience with either: pop3 on hotmail at Free Downloads Center. Some of these appear to be notifiers only.

Be sure to set a Restore Point and scan downloaded file for malware before unzipping or installing program.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 May 2008 - 02:00 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hotmail does not use POP or POP3, full stop. You'll never get access to it from GMail.
Its designed for website use only, though you can access the Hotmail through something like Thunderbird with appropriate extensions or Windows Live Mail, the replacement for Outlook Express.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Neil:

Guess I didn't finish answering the question about GMail. GMail does not get any non-pop3 service mail anywhere. It is set up to get only POP/POP3.

Sorry about that. :)

Ron

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
As far as I am aware, FreePOPs is more for reading your Hotmail through a email client like Thunderbird of Outlook/Live.

There are services that offer forwarding/hosting Hotmail messages with POP, but they are (one in particular that comes to mind as well reviewed and received) short trial periods followed by reasonable monthly fees... but I would rather not pay monthly for something that is ultimately optional.... but very useful.

Thank you all for your assistance thusfar, anyone have other solutions? :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
FreePops was just one quick program that came to mind. It does state on its site:

FreePOPs is an easily extensible program, which allows access to the most varied resources through the POP3 protocol.
Mainly, it can be used to download mail from the most famous webmails, but it could also be used as an aggregator for RSS feeds and much more. This way it is possible to get all your messages in your favorite email client.

There is also a dedicated HotMail program like YPOPS! that will allow you to set up your local email client and send/receive email from that account. Just didn't try to track it down since the OP was concerned about the POP3 from GMail.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 May 2008 - 08:44 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For Thunderbird you don't need FreePops, just the Webmail extension and the appropriate Hotmail one. It does it all for you with send and receive capabilities. Used it for a while, baulks on occasion but that's Microsoft for you.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I decided that the seemingly longer and more complicated process of mass emailing everyone on my address book and changing my email on all of the important sites would actually be faster and easier.

Thank you for your assistance.