Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow system, Generic host processes error messages [CLOSED] [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Gene7887

Gene7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you for your help, but it seems that there are still issues with my computer. Deckard's System Scanner still hangs and gives an error message at the "Backing Up Registry Hives" step (I once saw it get to the next step, "Cleaning Temporary Files," but it immediately closed at that point, and it has not gotten to that point again). My Computer displays a flashlight (which I take to mean that it is looking for the location of My Computer) when I click on the desktop icon, and only displays the contents of My Computer after approximately two to three minutes of the flashlight. And it still has a general sluggish feeling. It's almost 5 years old (with a couple of virus-induced hardware refreshes), and my eternally-speedy Powerbook G4 may have skewed my perceptions of speed, but I can't help but feel that the computer is still not quite right.

Though it seems that my problems are not malware related, do you have any suggestions for steps to take to find a remedy? The "Send To" option on the right-click menu still hangs for a very long time whenever it is moused over, could that possible be a result of having the CD/DVD drive as one of the options in that menu (my optical disk drive has been a worthless heap of non-working metal for well over a year)? Again, thanks, and any help you can offer would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have disabled the "Send To" menu since it was never used, but I would think that has only treated the symptom, not the disease.

Edited by Gene7887, 02 June 2008 - 09:12 PM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
The DSS problem is nothing to worry about

As for the others, it is probably just due to the PC's age

Your best bet would be to post in the Windows XP forum, tell them I sent you over

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.