Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking my cpu-help

• Please log in to reply

Epwrestler

Epwrestler

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright well I read a FAQ on here about Overclocking. It got me interested and since my computer is getting on the old side- I thought I should give it a shot, but only a minor one.

The first thing I did was read up on all my computer's specs and such...Uh, here is what I have:
(Might not be in the right format, i have no clue here)

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80Ghz (Dual Core)
system clock 200--multiplier 14
4 Sticks of 1024 ddr2 sdram (ddr2-800)
nvidia geforce 7950 512 mb graphics card
windows xp sp 3

The reason why I want to look into Overclocking is that my RAM is way over what my CPU is...and in the FAQ it explains usually the only reason holding you back is that your RAM cannot compete with your CPU. I just recently upgraded my RAM from 2gb to 4 and my graphics card. (By the way- I know that XP only supports up to 3gb ram...was planning on getting Vista soon?)

Anyways- I need a program to control my Overclock settings. I tried to find the bios menu during startup, but the only menu I can find is the 'boot' menu. Am I still able to Overclock my machine? I've opened a few programs, but then they say that can't recognize my motherboard. That's one of my main problems, so here is some information on that:

Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model EMERY
Version 1.05

If there is any more information I need to provide, please ask for it. I am using SIW to find this stuff.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The RAM is not over the CPU - it's DDR2. Double Data Rate 2. 200 x 4 = 800. It's matched.

Overclocking is best done in the BIOS because any software settings will disappear as soon as you reboot the system and they're not guaranteed to work on all systems anyway.

Is this a branded computer? Is it, say, a HP or a Compaq or any other similar name and what model number is it? HP and co tend to use butchered Asus boards in their machines.

Epwrestler

Epwrestler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My RAM is ddr2-800, meaning 400mhz at 2 per right-- You're saying it matches right now? At dual core 2.8Ghz and 400mhz ram? How does that work?

My fsb is at 200 with a multiplier of 14...so shouldnt my fsb be at 400 to match ram?
OBVIOUSLY i wouldnt clock it up that much, but the intriguing thing is that on SIW it says my processors can run at 3.6Ghz each...which I think would be a huge boost.

anyways- its an HP..

Sys Info
Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
Product Name ER904AA-ABA A1440N
Version 0nx1114RE101EMERY00
Serial Number MXK60908LT NA660
Chassis Desktop
Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE

Motherboard:
Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model EMERY
Version 1.05
Serial Number MB-1234567890

If you need any more info, ask

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Most HPs use crippled BIOSes, so you're pretty much out of luck if you want to overclock this machine. I never recommend using software to overclock, except in the case of GPUs where it is necessary.

What Neil was referring to is that your CPU's FSB and your RAM are being run in a 1:1 ratio. That is, the effective speed of your FSB is 800mhz (200mhz quad pumped) and the effective speed of your RAM is 800mhz (400mhz with a double data rate).

Edited by stettybet0, 13 May 2008 - 04:39 PM.

Epwrestler

Epwrestler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So I could not even use Software to overclock this computer?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Software is available but its not the preferred way of doing things because you run the risk of locking the system straight up. If you were able to change the options in BIOS, you'd know that it wouldn't like them because it wouldn't come on at all.