Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

at web pages

• Please log in to reply

scooner

scooner

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When looking at web pages scrolling becomes very slow and clicking on links takes some time to down load.
I've looked at the cpu usage and as soon as I scroll or go for the link it ramps up to 90-100% as soon as I stop to read the page it drops back down again.

The ADSL connection and router connections seem fine and I regularly use another computer on this with no problem.
I have McAfee Security and it's all up to date and have downloaded registry patrol and MS spyware detector and spybot search and Destroy but none of this has any effect. I'd appriciate any advice

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi scooner, welcome to G2G.

Try this. Click on Tools then Manage Addons. Disable all addons and see if the problem goes away. If yes, enable them a few at a time till you find the culprit, then leave it disabled and enable any of the others you want to keep.

scooner

scooner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the response, I've just tried this and even with all of the add on's turned off I'm still experiancing the same issues.
I've uploaded prt scr of the cpu usage and applications that I got for trying to scroll on a web page in the background not sure if this means anything to you.

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.doc   171.5KB   8 downloads

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That just shows that iexplore.exe (Internet Explorer) is using 95% of the CPU.

Have you cleaned out you Temporary Internet Files (TIF)?

In Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet Options.
Under Temporary Internet Files (commonly called TIF), click on Delete Files.
Check the "Delete all offline content" box and click OK

Are you using IE6 or IE7?

scooner

scooner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks Ztrucker,

certainly has become a faster, still running a little sluggish but I can live with that.

Running IE7

thanks for your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One other thing to look at is Virtual Memory. What do you have it set to?

Right Click on My Computer and select Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab then the Settings button under Performance.
Click on the Advanced tab in the Performance Options window.
Click on the Change button in the Virtual Memory section.

If it's set to Custom size then Initial should be 1.5 times your installed memory (RAM) and maximum should be double that value.

If you change anything, click on OK then Apply and OK then Apply and OK again.

Reboot and see if there is any improvement.

One last thing, try defragging your page file (swap file) which is what Virtual Memory really is, space on your hard drive where data from real memory is written to when there is not enough real memory available to satisfy the requirements of the running programs.

See here: http://technet.micro...s/bb897426.aspx