Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

weird lightning effect on comp screen...

• Please log in to reply

micha

micha

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
This is a home computer...
For the past few months, my computer screen has been making what appears to be a lighting charge, with a static sound thats displays vertically across my computer screen. It has been ocurring with greater frequency and concerns me.
My computer is a 2002 HP Pavillion XP...
Yes I have a surge protector protecting my comp, and we have DSL internet with modem tower that is proveded through the phone line.
Was curious if this is caused by police vehicles patrolling with radar or civilian fuzz busters in their cars, as they affect my sat tv reception.
We live on US12, a major business route with avid traffic all day long. :)

Edited by micha, 13 May 2008 - 12:20 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd be more inclined to think it's your monitor going south...i assume it's a CRT not an LCD right?

micha

micha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
its a fat pregnant style monitor all the HP Pavillion equip matched at purchase. :)

micha

micha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
:) Have a question..I keep getting this pop up that says "My Virtual Minimum memory is too low"...pop ups come on several times a day...
Is this something I can repair on my own, as the computer says it is working on improving the issue...
Is it just the age of this computer, as this is a 2002 HP Pavillion XP ?

I have the answer for the lightening images with the screen, it appears my monitor is going...thanks for a speedy reply!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
virtual memory is a place on your hard drive that the system uses to suplement your RAM....

Info on Virtual Memory
How to increase the Virtual Memory allocation

usually when your computer starts telling you about virtual memory issues out of the blue it's indicative of a different issue...usually ram issues

go to http://www.memtest.org/ and follow their instructions to make a bootable memory test disk and run the test

or you can go here http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp and get the microsoft ram tester

either of these is fine as they do the same job...run the test a few times and report any errors with your next post

you may also want to run a chkdsk and defrag your hard drive

to run chkdsk open up "my computer", right click on your hard drive and choose properties, then choose the "tools" tab, press "check now", make sure both boxes are checked and press ok...it will probably tell you that it can't run untill the next reboot...say ok and restart your computer (if you have any other hard drives...do the same to them as well)

to defrag open up "my computer", right click on your hard drive and choose properties, then choose the "tools" tab, click the "defragment now" button, click the defragment button.... this process takes FOREVER on most drives especially on large, highly fragmented drives...you will probably want to run it at night when you're not using the machine...you'll probably also want to disable your screen saver and your antivirus software (if you've got a broadband internet connection you might want to disconnect it from your computer while your AV is turned off)

boboboob

boboboob

• Pip
  • 5 posts

This is a home computer...
For the past few months, my computer screen has been making what appears to be a lighting charge, with a static sound thats displays vertically across my computer screen. It has been ocurring with greater frequency and concerns me.
My computer is a 2002 HP Pavillion XP...
Yes I have a surge protector protecting my comp, and we have DSL internet with modem tower that is proveded through the phone line.
Was curious if this is caused by police vehicles patrolling with radar or civilian fuzz busters in their cars, as they affect my sat tv reception.
We live on US12, a major business route with avid traffic all day long. :)

Yea I had that problem on my old monitor that I bought. That means it is going bad. So I bought a new samsung lcd and love it. Anyways just buy a new monitor lcds have gotten cheap now.