Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC randomly shutting down

• Please log in to reply

tamba1

tamba1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I have just had a call from a friend who has been experiencing her pc shutting down unexpectedlly.. ( she said it shut down after a few mins or when she tried openign Firefox)

Syst Details
Toshiba–EA60-199 Model No: PSA67E -00J00C8J
18 GB Free & 19 GB used
512MB RAM
Celeron 2.93GH processor

Running WinXp Home
NIS 2006

I have had a look remotely and was using it for about 30 mins with No issues using logmeinitreach software ..There was nothing showing in the event manager log, for the time of day it was shutting down earlier on.. I was wondering if it is a faulty power supply?

Everythng looked fine had just clicked on the Norton Internet security Full system scan which has not been run in a long time and the PC shut down NOW it won't reboot at all.??

Apparantly she can hear some whirring but nothing else happens..

Advised her to leave it for a bit and about 2 hours later she was able to turn it on again.. I am wondering if it could be overheating.??

Apparantly 3/4 montsh ago this was heppening then stopped happening and has now started again..

Please can you give me some advice - other than taking it to a hardware workshop

Syst Details
Toshiba–EA60-199 Model No: PSA67E -00J00C8J
18 GB Free & 19 GB used
512MB RAM
Celeron 2.93GH processor

Running WinXp Home
NIS 2006
:)
Many Thanks
tamba1

Edited by tamba1, 13 May 2008 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi tamba1, welcome to G2G.

This is either the power supply or an overheating problem, as you mentioned. She is going to have to open the computer case and look inside to see if it's dirty (accumulated dust or animal fur) and if the fans are all turning, in the power supply, on the case itself, on the video card if it has one.

Also need to make sure the heat sink is firmly fastened to the CPU.

If all appears okay then a new power supply is the next step.

If this is not something she is comfortable doing then someone will have to help her.

tamba1

tamba1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi ZTrucker

Thaks for your reply hmm I KNOW she is not gonna want to attmpt that ..

I have been trying to find a service manual online for her PC but either I am blind or it is not avilable

I found a user manual for Toshiba–EA60-199 Model No: PSA67E -00J00C8J ( this is a discontinued model) bu am not sure whether I wodl feel comfortable taking it apart.

I did however find this : Why my Toshiba laptop suddenly shuts down by itself without warning?
http://www.laptoprep...g/all-comments/

This is referring to heatsink being clogged with dust and lint completely an causing shutdown .....I myself have not had to deal
with this before either..

Apparantly "In some cases you can access the heatsink through the latch on the bottom of the laptop." as opposed to completely dismantling it, I was
wondering if this coudl be one of those cases ????

I also found this Detailed how to take laptop apart - http://www.irisvista.com/

I was wondering about this though "Try to fix the problem without taking the laptop apart first but I would recommend using a powerful air compressor instead of a vacuum cleaner." HOW could I try to fix this without taking the laptop apart .. if this is not too challenging I may have a go ?

Thanks for your support
tamba1

Edited by tamba1, 13 May 2008 - 11:59 PM.