Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to burn DVD's

• Please log in to reply

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just got a sweet new laptop, and I know it burns DVD's. I managed to make one copy, but none of the others seem to want to go. I have Roxio for burning, but this dude told me to get Nero. So I did. But the problem I'm having is that my dvd-r's are 4.7 GB, which as far as I can tell is the standard size, but the dvd's are bigger than that, and won't fit on the discs. Is there a way I can compress them? What I really need is for step by step instructions. What I need to download, and how to go about making copies of my dvd's. I'd really appreciate some help, and you guys have helped me a bunch before, so anything you can tell me would be great. Thanks!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
just to clarify, what kind of data are you wanting to put onto these dvd's? Instructions largely depend on what your trying to do.

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm trying to make copies of my movie dvd's. Lol, but not for sale or distribution. I copied the movie Juno, which was only 4.32 GB or something, but my other movies, like say, Superbad, is over 7 GB, therefore doesn't want to fit onto my dvd-r. Also, what is the difference between dvd-r's and dvd+r's. I know what a dvd rw is, but I don't know much about the others, or which ones I should use. Lol, I'm hopelessly lost on this subject, and I'm not stupid, I don't feel that it should be this hard to figure out!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
essentially dvd-r is the standard. dvd+r was replaced by dvd-r. For more info you can read this wiki article

The larger size dvd's are because the are dual layer. The software you have should be capable of burning dual layer. It's a matter of your cd burner being capable of burning dual layer (probably is, but you will need to check to be sure) and having the right media.

here is an example for the double layer media: http://www.tigerdire...-Dual-Layer-DVD

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Oh so that's what it is! You mentioned that copying dual layer dvd's depend on software and hardware. Does it not depend on the dvd r/rw as well? Can I copy dual layer dvds to any dvd r/rw (even generic unbranded ones?) assuming I have proper software and hardware?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes, as long as the dvd recorder supports it (that's what I mean by hardware).

If you look here

you will see some that support DL (dual layer) and some that don't.