Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing VMM32.VXD !

• Please log in to reply

writeroxie

writeroxie

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
...and my windows Me won't startup now. I accidentally threw the VMM32.VXD out. I haven't emptied my recycling bin though (if that may help?)... So it's still there. I just can't get in, to put it back into the system folder.

My computer starts and shows a black screen saying:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD
Type the name of the windows loader (e.g. C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD)
C>

I don't have a boot disk or the windows software. anyone know how to get it back? Am I totally screwed?

Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
totally screwed? No. but depending on how much junk you have in your recycle folder it could be a chore.

You're going to need a boot disk for this, get one at www.bootdisk.com...a windows 98se disk will do nicely.

Boot with it, choose no cd-rom support as you will not need it for the fix

after the boot process is complete, you will be at an a:\> prompt. Type

c:
cd recycled
dir /p

you will now get a file list of everything in your recycle bin, hi the space bar to continue the scroll.

BUT, everything will have a different name!, for example, vmm32.vxd may now be named dc1.vxd...this is the mechanism that windowsme uses to hide files without erasing them, but it does make your job more difficult. You're going to have to discern what the file name is now, so using the above example, type at the prompt

copy dc1.vxd c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd

that will restore your file. remove the floppy and reboot.

you should be ok