Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling WLAN Autoconfig

• Please log in to reply

Navy Seal

Navy Seal

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hello there! Recently while playing online games i have been experiencing in-game lag spikes every 1-2 minutes while playing. The lag spikes only last for 1-2 seconds but it's still a big problem while playing. I have a feeling these lag spikes are due to my wireless connection. It is my understanding that Vista has something called a WLAN Autoconfig (the equivalent to XP's WZC Windows Zero Configuration). From my understanding it basically searches for a better wireless connection, thus, causing the lag spikes in game. It doesn't affect internet browsing or downloading, it just affects my in game play. So, when i go to disable the WLAN Autoconfig in my services, it disconnects my wireless internet connection, thus not allowing me to do anything with the internet. I was wondering if you could assist me in disabling the WLAN Autoconfig service, while still being able to keep my internet connection. Thanks in advance!!

Navy Seal

Advertisements

Navy Seal

Navy Seal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
any help please?

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Left click on Start, then type in services in the start search box, you will see services at the top
click on services and it will open, you will find WLAN Autoconfig way down the page.
you can disable it from there.

Navy Seal

Navy Seal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
i have tried that but theres a problem when i do that. when i disable it my whole wireless connection gets disconnected

Navy Seal

Navy Seal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
bump!