Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASP to PDF Files

• Please log in to reply

freik

freik

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all,
I'm having troubles with this issue. What I'm shooting for is to send the name and address of a company to a PDF so that when a customer clicks to download it will show the company information. The name of the company is pulled from a database and will change depending on which customer has clicked on it. I am building this site in ASP. Can it be done?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello freik,

Your options are limited in accomplishing this task. If you are hosting the website on your own server or have access to the hosting server, you can print the PDF from the command line of the server. You would need to use a combination of the following:
PDFCreator (free), Adobe Acrobat (not free), or a similar utility that can print PDF files from the command line.
Scripting.FileSystemObject
WScript.Shell
Server.MapPath

You'll need to have a template document set up on the server that you can open up and replace values to, then save it to another file. You may or may not need to use Server.MapPath. Once the file is written with values, you'll have to pass a command to the WScript.Shell object to print the file to a PDF. After that, it's a matter of getting the document displayed to the user.

Regards,

Ax

freik

freik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey Ax,
Thanks for the speedy reply again. I decided to ask the folks who host our site about the things you have mentioned as it would have taken me a while to do all the research behind it. It turns out that this functionality already exists on another site that they are hosting. They told me that in order for them to do this they were using ABCpdf3, a custom dll from a third-party. I decided to research that and I think I got it working now.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this topic though.

Edited by freik, 21 May 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Glad to hear you were able to come up with a resolution, thanks for posting back.