Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zalman CPU Cooler

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ive had my comp for a lil bit and lately I just noticed that the fan doesn't stay on all the time. It will stay on during bootup and sign in. Then I realized it just turns off. My Temps dont usually go above 40 Celsius but Im wondering if, A. if it turns on when it gets hotter, B. if it's broken, and C. if it would be cooler with the fan. Thanks, the reason Im wondering is because I plan on overclocking, yes ive read up on it, and Im just making sure that I have enough room in temp to go higher. Im using an E6750 by the way.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely it's just that theres not a high enough temp to speed up the fan. I just built a quad core Q6600 computer with a nice heat pipe cpu cooler that just runs at idle all day long. I even play games on the computer and cannot see nor hear the CPU fan speed up yet. I guess it just does not get hot enough ever. You may be able to download speedfan and then be able to adjust the cpu fan with it. Sometimes it works , but on some MB's it just don't work at all. If it works you might adjust the fan for low speed running and once in a while( especially after running a game, check in speedfan for your temps.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

SRX660

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay thanks for clearing that up. And out of curiosity. Whats the highest safe temps, so that I know once I hit them not to overclock anymore.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to the Intel white papers the E6750 processor has a maximum TC temp is 72°c. The TC temp is taken at the center of the processor where the heatsink is attached. Normally i see only a temp of 35 to 40° in the bios on my quads CPU temps.

SRX660

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
It is important to note that the temps registered in BIOS are idle temps, and of course do not represent the highest temperature your CPU will reach under full load. It is much more important to know your load temps, which will be the ones which have a chance of crossing the thermal threshold.

To find your load temps, download a stress test program like Orthos or Prime95. Then, run it while running a temperature monitoring tool like SpeedFan or CoreTemp. These stress testing programs can also test the stability of your overclock, so you will definately be wanting these.

Edited by stettybet0, 17 May 2008 - 10:52 AM.