Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Problem

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ok, I didnt think about it. And I didnt mean that the whole line is bugged, I meant that I have read quite a few problems and just saying that it could be a bug. I will try the latest BIOS update.

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I just updated the BIOS. I changed most of the stuff. Im going to go back and change the rest. The one wierd thing is that my RAM is now at 679 or something, when it's DDR2 800. It was at 816 OC'd I dont know how to change it back

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest, I feel that many people have been too impatient with this board in the past... Just let the board do a number of boot cycles, it seems odd at first and I was worried for the first time as well.

The one wierd thing is that my RAM is now at 679 or something, when it's DDR2 800. It was at 816 OC'd I dont know how to change it back

Adjust the Memory Multiplier to resolve this.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 May 2008 - 05:08 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay so I just overclocked it. I let it do about 20 or so boot cycles and still nothing. I dont see some of these things ur telling me to click in the M.I.T. I got the RAM to normal but I didnt find that Memory Multiplier, or C1E, NB Voltage, or Enhanced Speed Step.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Once you enter the BIOS, you must click and hold CTRL+F1 to view additional settings.
C1E and Enhanced Speed Step are located under advance settings if I remember correctly, the rest will be found under M.I.T.
20 boot cycles is a way to long..... time to start fooling around with some settings.

If the above doesn't work, I want you to do the following (be sure to have increased the NB voltage to +0.1V).
Drop the CPU multiplier to 6x and see how high you can get the FSB. This will rule out the possibility of the motherboard being the limiting factor. If you can achieve a high FSB (~450MHz or greater), then it's likely that you got a "bad" CPU that requires more juice to overclock and will not overclock quite as well as other similar CPUs.

When doing these adjustments, be sure you have adequate air flow and to watch temperatures closely. We cannot be held responsible if any damage occur. That being said, what we have suggest shouldn't be outside of the cooling boundaries of your stock setup.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Where is NB voltage located. I havent found it. So if it takes a high FSB to overclock then my CPU is bad and I should get a new one.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I tested it at 450 FSB, and it didnt work. Im going to try others but I just want to make sure I have all the settings correct so I dont mess anything up. The only thing I havent found is Enhanced Speed Step and NB Voltage.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

So if it takes a high FSB to overclock then my CPU is bad and I should get a new one.

I wouldn't personally, but this is your call to make and not mine.

The north bridge is called (G)MCH overvoltage control under M.I.T.
Please don't do such a big jump, increase it by 20MHz increments at the very MOST. Without increasing the NB voltage, there would be no way your motherboard would boot with a FSB at that frequency.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 May 2008 - 07:14 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay. Illdo that now. If I set the NB to +0.1 do u think that it will overclock by just raising the FSB and keeping the multiplier.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Just upping the FSB was a failure. Ill attempt the multiplier thing later tonight. I may just give up. Its not that big of a deal, as time goes on I may look into it more. It really depends on my mood tonight, its just a pain to keep reseting the CMOS but thats computers. Thanks for your help, and if the FSB thing doesnt work well go from there.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You need to drop the Multiplier to 6x and raise the FSB in 20MHz increments. If you don't drop the multiplier on the CPU then we wouldn't get getting anywhere as your overclocking the CPU and not isolating the issue. In addition be sure that your memory has a multiplier of 2 and timings of 5-5-5-15.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 May 2008 - 09:11 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I did all the memory stuff. I will try that later on today. It's just a big pain to do cause if it doesnt work I have to reset my CMOS again.